Should a persons age be a facture in determining if they can or cannot perform certain tasks for the fire department?  What about a persons weight?  Or should it be if you can perform your task performances in the allotted time no matter how old you are or how much you weigh?  I have been reading a discussion (and participating in it) where if you are older you are more stubborn, and over confident in your abilities.  What about those who are younger fresh out of school and academy should that same comment apply to them?

Views: 1940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a member of an all volunteer fire department in a village of 3500 people, we have younger members that do the interior firefighting and older members that run pumps, change air bottles, set up rehab, hook up hydrants and feed hose into the house.
With a village my size, there's no way we could support a paid department. The other question is, what's the percentage of paid firefighters dying in the line of duty compared to the percentage of a volunteer that dies in the line of duty?
From MY experience people who have posted those types of profiles joking or not tend to be closed minded arrogant cocky individuals. From MY experience of dealing with these kind of individuals I prefer to associate with those who are open minded and confident.
I know that I cannot be a very holy person and there are only 9 holes on this body. I am sure that there are more holier people than me. I also find that the Enlightened Northeast is just jealous of the Pacific Northwest because we have a much more beautiful state than Jersey.
Contrary to what you think I did join to give back to my community. I am proud to be a volunteer not only for the Fire Department but for other organizations as well and I take my jobs very seriously. Oh and my cape was ruined trying to save a chicken.
Interesting, I'm all what you say based on my profile? At least you're not one to quickly judge a person. I mean, that would make you all sanctimonious and holier-than-thou, which I'm sure you're not. Can't tell for sure now that you've made your profile private, wonder why you did that?

As for "giving back to the community," gimme a break. That's a statement entirely without content. You could have done social work, created an endowment, give extensively to charity but instead you chose something that you enjoy doing. Doesn't seem all that altruistic to me. But then...I judge.

As for being closed minded, I'm probably the furthest thing from it. But then, that I typically espouse that VFD's are most often of the social club mentality, that they should be held to much higher hiring and training standards I'm sure that upsets some. You seem to fall into that group. But with already a solid year under your corset I'm sure you're very well trained, capable and well seasoned.
Proud to be a probie.
Patti, Seems to me like judging is what you do, and by very little infromation. How about if you read the well thought out entries by someone, entries that go over a period of time, before you judge. I have my information up front for all to see with my full name. I have nothing to hide, nor does Jack. Why do you hide your information? Just a question. A valid one since you are judging people by what they have freely presented. I live in the beautiful Nothwest, I have also been to the beautiful Northeast and they have a lot to be proud of. You seem to be full of judgements for someone so young, maybe you should get some time on the job before you let your prejudices get ahead of your brain/mouth.
The other question is, what's the percentage of paid firefighters dying in the line of duty compared to the percentage of a volunteer that dies in the line of duty?

Interesting question especially when one does look at LODDs and how they occurred. Percentage wise, not going to do the homework, however, just look at the last year, this year, or any year for that matter and volunteer LODD usually outnumber career FF's.....exception being 2001.
Greg,

I go by my gut instict. My gut tells me that we would butt heads, call it prejudging someone or what ever, but I stand by my gut and it is rarely ever wrong. I have nothing to hide. If you want to know something about me.... Ask and I will tell you plainly, simply, and honestly. Just because I only have a over a year with the force does not mean that I don't have other experience under my belt. I have lived on the east coast and would prefer the green of the Northwest.
I am going to ask a friend of mine who would know the statistics for this. Now I am curious.
Sounds like you're pretty thick headed so stay where you're at. Don't think you'd make it over here.
I loved the history of the east coast and the food (got spoiled on quality cooking there), but the summer was to humid for my taste.
Just a quick reference from the USFA.....2009 LODDs.... 47 volunteer, 36 career, 7 wildland firefighters.

Of the career FF, there were a few LODDs where they died from illness contracted on the job years earlier.
That is to many.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service