OK, This was forwarded to me at work and though I am on a Ladder Company, I am not assigned to nor do we have a Tower Ladder. So with that said, I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the following fire ground photographs.

The guys on my company did immediately notice that the roof ladder appears to be upside down and the hooks are on the bottom of the ladder as well.

Views: 956

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To answer the roof ladder question, you can get them with hooks on both ends. My question is, why is he on the roof? He has no tools, no roof ladder to stand on or SCBA.
Benson and Sterricker are correct in the mechanical locks that can be optioned or added to the rescue basket to allow straight ladder egress, you can also employ 2 big hook carabiners to secure any straight ladder.

The options I am aware of to secure a straight ladder to a basket include:

- Tethered Safety Pin method
- Arm w/ cutouts for roof ladder hooks, caribiners or screw links
- A place to simply hook onto the top rail of basket on older apparatus.
How do we know this is a fire. Could it be just a drill? Thats could explain the absence of a SCBA. Nether less it is still a risky practice and probably should not have been attempted.
Power line might have kept the bucket from getting close enough to pick the guy up. While not the safest thing to do, it worked, fellow FF safe.
Has anyone come up with a location of this yet? A couple months ago I heard a story of a truck company from a paid department where I live performing a similar maneuver without the Chief's permission. I saw no pictures, but this looks exactly like the story I heard would look. If this is in fact a picture from the story, This FF was in some doo-doo. The story I heard was a vacant house fire (there are lots of them here), and wires or trees (I dont remember exactly which) obstructed a safe aerial operation to open the roof, so a FF took it upon himself to perform a maneuver like this to get to the roof. The house construction shown here is very common to houses that occupy where this story took place. Again, I cant confirm these pics are from the story (heck....I cant even confirm the story; I heard it second hand), but there are some very strong coincidences that make me wonder where this took place and the story behind it.
I may get some flack from the hard -core truckies on this one. Look at the roof pitch. What ever the reason for the activity in the photo, let me comment on something else. And before you lable me as a wuss, or what ever ya wanna call me, we discussed this in a ladder company tactics class instructed by a very respected ladder officer from FDNY. The subject of vertical ventilation, and roof pitch was discussed.

Let's face it, how many times have we seen fire under control, knocked down, and crews still taken to the roof, with little effects from the work done? Enlarging gable ends was discussed as well. IS the risk worth it on such a steep pitch? Especially with visibility obscurred from smoke. Possibly all we have is an attic, containing items of non-essential needs. Is it worth it falling frm the roof, or through the roof? Fire CAN be fought using elevated streams through the wondows. If we can access the roof from a tower or aerial, that's another story.

Thoughts???
Well,We have an American leFrance bucket and on both sides we have ladder supports which lock in the ladder at the top rung and at the third rung so it can not come out but i will have to check on the upside down thing I believe it can go in either way so i don't see a problem with this pic other than it's not in a normal position.And as Tim said i would have put the bucket on the roof it has doors on either side much safer.
Boys the bottom line is that he is on a roof with no BREATHING APP. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the big picture this is all bad all the way around.
This is definitely something different strange about these photos. First lets see no full PPE where is the SCBA. And the upside-down roof ladder.......hmmmmm. If there is anybody that can tell me what this method is called I'm all ears...
This looks like a live burn training house, Power lines should not even be there to start with. Not a good move on his part.
Given two distorted photos of a firefighter being lifted off a roof, and not having a narrative does not help...what is that pattern appearing on the roof shingles, is it melting snow? Where is his SCBA? Did he run out of air and ditch it?Why is he catching a ride using his roof ladder off this roof?Why is the ladder upside down? How did they attach it to the bucket?Is there a fire blocking his path down and there was no other way but ....
WHAT EXACTLY IS HE DOING? HE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A TOOL. IF I PUT THE STICK UP I USUALLY PUT IT WHERE I CAN JUST WALK ONTO THE ROOF.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service