I am a college student right now that is not happy with the direction I am heading. So I am going to join the Air Force. I have always wanted to be a firefighter. But does anybody have any information about the USAF Fire protection job. How are the firefighters treated in the service? Will this help me to eventually join a bigger squad? Any information would be appreciated!

Views: 110

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personaly dont know too much about, but I too was interested in that, but my dad, who served 10 years in the Army and then another 6 in the Air Force told me that it isn't a pleasen't job to do. He said that you are will be fighting fires in combat zones and the overall work is pretty sucky. But it's been a few years since he was in so you should talk to someone in the service(excluding a recruiter, he'll usually sell you a bunch of crap). Take a look at ROTC or OCS too.
Keep one thing in mind, (which the recruiter will not tell you) The needs of the Air Force will determine where you go and what you do. The Air Force Firefighting training school is hard to get into. The school located at Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, Texas graduates a new class every day. The train not only Air Force, but the other branches train there as well. They have a top notch training facility, and instructors comparable to any in the world. The video will give you a little insight.
Attachments:
Thanks for the video and information. I have heard that it was also pretty tough to get in to the training school. But how do you I get in. Like what does it take to get into the school?
I was discharged in 1978, so I'm afraid I'll have to refer you to the AF Recruiter. Back then, there were a battery of tests to see what you were better suited for based on aptitude. You did have some input and request. I would think if you have experience as a firefighter, they would take that into consideration. But, I've been out for a month or two so I'm not sure now.
Go see your local USAF recruiter. Last I heard though, the Air Force was not guaranteeing any specific jobs, as they are downsizing somewhat. I joined back in 99, got the job I wanted as a firefighter, and loved every minute of it. The Fire Academy is rated #1 in the world, has been year in and year out for the past 2 decades, so you will get the best training available. Take care, and good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service