Does anyone know if there is a certain way to display the American flag of any size on any fire apparatus. We are in a serious debate about this at the FD and I would like for this to end but i need proof like a website with pics or book maybe all comments will be read.

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Title 4 of the United Stated Government Code governs the proper display of our Nations Colors. While no specific reference is made to vehicles, Sec. 7. Position and manner of display, provides guidelines which could be followed.

Hope this helps.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/uscode/title4/chapter1_.html
Thanks will look into this but was hoping there was something more related to fire service
We're going to flag murals on the sides of the rigs - cloth flags just get too dirty. In addition to the percieved disrespect, it gets costly to replace them frequently.

We don't wear flag patches on our uniforms for the same reason - they are still flags, and they get dirty, bloody, etc.
I have never seen any actual laws written for flags on vehicles

but i do know that at my company we have a cloth flag mounted to the rear of our turntable on the truck. The only thing is like everybody else said you do have to replace it frequently
home.att.net/~militarysalute3/manuals/vehicleflags.doc
Might check this out

My Dept. does not have a set standard on this but we do have them on our trucks.
Matt,

I have actually made some that looks similar to these but without the bend in it near the bumper. ours are placed either in the bumper or mounted on the side view mirrors
If you are flying the National Colors and your State's or department's emblem, then the colors should be on the left side of the apparatus, and the other on the right. Matt's image above is an acceptable way to display only the colors for parades, as long as the apparatus is not leading.
According to the United States Flag Code, section 3(b) "The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle or of a railroad train or a boat. When the flag is displayed on a motor car, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender."

Thus when flying on the vehicle it to it's own just as if you were carrying it in a parade.
I believe they are working on that as well at My Dept. I think they have just gotten the Chiefs approval for displaying them in the station bays as well as on the Apparatus.
I stand corrected. Good job.
In the army, if they are hung, the field is always to the viewers left. When mounted on vehicles or affixed to uniforms, the field is always to the wearers front, which "gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward". Thats according to the Army Regulation 840-10 and 670-1. Yes, I know we're not in the military, but who's more serious about how the U.S. Flag is displayed? Its a good place to start, anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service