I belong to a group called firefighter crossing borders.org www.firefighterscrossingborders.org
We are looking for used fire equipment that is still usable for use in mexico currently. we have several projects ongoing and need help. check us out at our web site.

Views: 1495

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the idea and did this with equipment for EMS but can I say one thing I know of many areas right here in the US that need equipment badly lets not forget them
I think dan is right we should worry about the departments in this country that needs equipment before we give it to anyone else.
I agree Dan, however unless its for some emergency ( we worked with groups to send stuff down to New Orleans) Most departments can't purchase or accept equipment that does not meet current standards without liability. We are just taking that which cannot be used here and continuing its service life. Believe me we have worked with several schools and departments and help where we can.
Outstanding idea Dan.I dont think the fire service is ready to start suppling other countries just yet we have enough trouble getting our own equipment here in this country.I have also heard that several ofour south of the border neighbors have solicited US Depts for used equipment they need so desperatly only to sell to the highest bidder.
I think that there are many avenues available to departments here in our country, unfortunately they most often cannot use the used equipment because of nfpa, or osha which brings with it a liability so they end up in the trash. We take this equipment and put it where it can continue its service life where ever that may be. Unfortunately in our country we rely on the citizens and governments to fund our services, in other countries its not like that. We work exclusively with Mexico because we can monitor and verify that the equipment we bring is being used. If we thought for a second they were selling it, we would stop. We currently help 5 cities in Mexico and have volunteers for equipment and teaching through out the country. Check out our website www.firefighterscrossingborders.org Look forward to your thoughts.
You had better believe that there are depts. in this country that are in need of anything they can get. Some are still w/out scbas,turnouts that are in serviceable condition,and there are still trucks that may or may not function running calls and people with NO TRAINING at all running calls. This country has areas that are destitute also, it is really disturbing to know that some of our own are still using wet rags for breathing apparatus and using trucks that were scrapped by cities 30 yrs ago. Your organization has its heart in the right place I'll not fault them for helping outside this country but it looks to me like another Sally Struthers campaign, I would like to see someone take up the desire to do something for our people here in this great nation that are in dire need.
Where? Give me an example(s) and if my organization can help it will.
It’s nice that you are sending equipment out of the country, BUT many departments with in the USA are in direr need of equipment. Before you send stuff out of the USA, Look around your state first. Just about every State has a department in need. Help them first. Then look at outside departments next. If its not usable then send it out of country, If your intrested I may have a DEFID that may not be able to be used here, I'm still looking into it. If I can't get rid of in in the US I will get ahold of you.
I am part of a group known as Hancock Hope that brings gear, equipment and staffing to fire departments in need in the USA. Perhaps this is an opportunity for collaboration.

Check out www.firefighternation.com/profile/HancockHope
Bump
My department, the Desoto Rescue Squad, in Mentone Alabama for one. We provide EMS First Response and basic rescue services. We do not qualify for AFG because we are a non-transport rescue squad and do not do fire fighting. We have 3 servicable helments, 1 set of extrication coveralls, and that is it for PPE. Our typical annual budget is between $1500 and $5000 depending on how generous the citizens are with their donations that year. email me @ 1lt@desotorescue.com for more info. Any help would be appreciated!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service