Super truckers, you know the type. The guys that can drive anything as fast as they want and nothing bad will ever happen. How do you get the "best" driver in your station to stop and think? A member of my dept (a ranking officer) drives truck 5 days a week and when his in an Engine he can't do anything wrong. I'm not asking for much just maybe not go as fast as the truck can go no matter what the speed limit or heck maybe even slow down for stop signs. A few weeks ago we got sent to a minor MVA. As I was getting in the drives set he told me he would drive. Ok fine, doesn’t matter much to me. After cutting off a corner turning onto a residential street coming within feet of an on coming car (with kids in the back seat) then blowing a stop sign at over 20mph he didn't feel he need to stop pulling back onto one of the main routes through town.
All in all we all made it back to the station alive "this time". What can be done by a firefighter to make him see what he is doing? The chief as talked to him many times about this but nothing is changing.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can tell him it's not okay when he says he'll drive. Driving an emergency vehicle recklessly is illegal, blowing stop signs in illegal, endangering the public while driving the vehicle is illegal. Maybe you should have a training night dedicated solely to LODD's involving driver error. You know there are enough out there to fill an entire evening, and then some. Or perhaps you could go over the Waterbury Connecticut accident that killed the officer in charge of the pump.
We're running to calls to protect, not to injure along the way. That kind of rogue attitude drives me crazy. Our officers have no problem telling a driver to take it easy if he is pushing it too much. Speak up, for the sake of your crew and the people around you. I can only imagine that he's also not wearing his belt.
An LODD Training night only on reckless vehicle operation and or driver error..... I will be honest, I never thought of that. I will start tonight on a power point.

oh yeah you guessed right he never wears his set beat.
I have to agree with alot of the responses here. The driver needs to come of the drivers list and he needs to take EVOC. It wont do us any good to crash on the way to a scene, Who will we be helping then? I have one of those people on our dept and he thought he was invisnable. Well the chief took care of that. He no longer drives reckless. How did he fix it? He took away the driving rights and a 3 shift suspension. He no longer drives 5 over thwe posted speed limit. Good luck and hopefully you get it resolve before someone gets hurt..... Stay safe
Remind them that they have a duty of care.

A duty of care to the other road users.

A duty of care to the other members in the truck.

Any member, regardless of rank, should be able to tell a driver to slow down if they fear for their own safety or don't feel comfortable- I have!
As others have said remove him from the drivers list and tell him to take EVOC training. If that doesnt sit well with him suspend him from all FD functions until he does.
well this is what going to happen because the law will catch up to him..One will he cause you or other member to be in arm s reach of getting into a accident where someone going to get hurt bad. 2. he will end up hurting someone from the out side. 3. the chief need to pull him off driving until he learns to slow down.. The chief isthe chief for a reason.. beyond that don't ride with him.. His day is coming.....
First don't ride with him. second It apeirs that your chief lacks any back bone to stand up to him. And lastly if god forbid anything does happen ask your chief and pres if they are ready to lose every thing the own and give the rest of the fire department a big black eye
I few days ago I printed off all the comments that have been posted (no names or any contact info) and handed them to the chief after I was talking about all the comments with my captain. The chief first rad what i had wrote then all the comment just before an officers meeting. I have not got on a truck with him driving scense I first posted this. A few other guys are starting to notice too. As far as why is an officer (well hell he's an asst. chief) driving he thinks he's the only guy that can drive and this is the chief in charge of training. He doesn't like to do pump training cuz he is the best pump operator around (other then his father). I think its sad guys will come to me for training instead of the officer who should be doing it.
we've actually suspended a driver a few years ago for this and then he retired but we've had fire trucks vs vehicle accidents around here in Northern Michigan for a while now, maybe its the weather but we are proud that our name does not hit the paper like some other departments do.
If the driver is truly "reckless" and does not drive with "Due Regard". Then there are a few options.
1. Don't get on the truck. When he ask why, tell him he drives like an Asshole and he's going to get someone killed.
2. Ask him if his CDL is worth driving like an Asshole in a firetruck. Tell him if he plows into a school bus because of reckless driving this could cost him his license, and in turn his livelyhood.
3. Become Chief
4. Do Nothing, but don't complain when there is an accident.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service