my mom is an emt and just a few days ago she had to call her own work to take her to the hospital. they found out she has a few rupshured disc. so the doc wants to put in a bunch of plates and screws . that will put her in back brace for a few months. but the worse thing is hers emt carrer is over and thats what she loves . her love for it is what made want to do it. if you know anthing to help please let me know and please keep her in your prayers.

Views: 166

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I will keep you and your mom in my prayers.

There are ways she can still help. Maybe she can look into become a part time instructor with the college. Pass on her knowledge and experience to those coming into it. Also, could she stay on part time with her agency and work PR events? That is a great way to still help your community. Educating the citizens is a very important part of our job. She could go to work for the Red Cross teaching CPR. There are lots of ways to still help the community. It is just going to depend on what path she wants to take.
Her career isn't over. This is a major setback which won't allow her to do the work she loves for a few months, but with a good recovery, some rehab and physical therapy, she will be back doing the job she loves in less than 2 years. Look at the posatives, not the negatives.
All is not lost! I herniated the disc at L5/S1 in 2002. Along with the pain, my entire left leg down to the toes was numb. I was off work for 6 months. Now I'm fine as long as I remember to use proper body mechanics while lifting and moving patients or working on the fireground. Best of luck to your Mom. I know her rehab will take longer than mine, but the most important thing is not to give up! Stay safe!
What exactly did the doctor say about her turn around? The reason I am asking is because there is a member I know of on Ghettomedic.com that had a back injury from an mva and was eventually allowed back on the job, but not for a long long time. Teaching may be another way to stay in the loop and will help her heal emotionally by teaching what she knows to the next generation of EMTs.When I was in college in CA, I had a criminial justice instructor who was an ex Culver City Police officer who fell through a skylight and was not able to work the streets anymore, But... He got his teaching credentials and was able to teach criminal justice students what is entailed with law enforcement and teach from experience. Just a thought for your Mom and God speed. I hope she defies the odds and gets back out there.
God Bless.
Erin
Why would it be over they would do surgery she may not be 100%,but many of my nuring friends all have had surgery and still working.. I was a emt for 27years I am also a nurse that works on a ortho floor alot of those people go back to work...,I realize what is involve.. After some rehab she should be able to go to work again... It's not over.. yet for unless she wants it to be... good luck with the surgery life is not done yet

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service