See even us old folks like a tool when it works. Does Department use a TIC and for what? Is it just for looking for hot spots or something RIT stole and they keep? Do you know how many other uses it can have, we even use it for searches in the woods and is your Chief afraid to use it saying his nose is better?

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We use a TIC, and not only for finding hot spots. It is great for finding people in the woods, fields. It is a great tool to have and use. Even great for deer season. lol
we just got ours have not used it in actual fire or search yet going to have to start "training" with it. chief would kill us if we used it for deer season! good idea though make good training class! lol
every fire call every time...it helps reduce the "rekindle" calls a lot. we also "lend" it to the local pd when they are needing to find someone that ran from them and is hiding in the woods/pastures...great tool
With our department a TIC has no bounds. we use it to find heat signatures in search and rescue, (even ice rescue of the victim isn't obvious) inside structure fires (victim entrapped or not) from start to finish and all throughout overhaul. I feel it is critical to have the camera inside ASAP upon arrival because it can get you to the seat of a good smokey fire much faster.
Our dept. has thermal imagers on all front line trucks as well as the command vehicle. They are very useful for finding hot spots as well as a possible fire. There are many uses...we've even used them in conjuntion with the police to help find a suspect. Great tool.
we have three and we use it for overhaul search and resque. RIT I have found that it really aids in search makes it quicker..but firefighters need to learn to search the tried and true way before going to tech. I would say that our chief is very tech friendly
One other thing thats helpful is you can sometimes pull up to a commercial building fire and use the camera from outside to see the area of fire inside the building. It can help pinpoint the location for a faster knockdown.
We have TIC on the truck company and on the two quint companies; we use it for everything discussed here already, but in reference to using it to check for hidden fire, just remember, make sure it's systematic and make sure you expose anything you suspect.
Don't forget that you can use it for all sorts of things. Odor calls, hot ballasts, water pipe bursts, etc. The one that I have not seen yet is Hazmat that comes to mind. You can use it to find out what drum or container is having a problem or reaction if there is a vapor cloud.
We have two and we use them a good bit. The obvious uses of course, but we've even used it on brush fires to identify hot spots that weren't noticiable to the naked eye.

We've even used it to look for possible ejections from MVAs.

The TIC doesn't take the place of a well trained firefighter, it's used as yet another tool in the toolbox.
We have used it for MVC to make sure we have not over looked anyone thrown from a car or truck.
We have used it for hot electrical panels, it was amazing the first time. We did not know which panel was causing the electrical problem when we arrived. One of the firefighters said bring in the tic, both panels side by side and the one on the right was white and the other was not. Well you know which one was the problem panel.

Fires are great, yea that's what it was made for. But searching for someone in the bush it's amazing.
Only thing is the Chief will not let me take it up for Moose hunting... Not fair!
We've got 3 of them. They're used for search & rescue, overhaul, and we've even used it from the top of our aerial ladder near a wooded area to look for missing teenagers.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service