In our world we all think we are perfect firefighters. We all look at LODD's and say to ourselves that could be me. (some folks are crazy enough to think they are untouchable) This posting is going to be short and sweet.
In every fire department paid or volunteer you have an insurance policy should the crap hit the fan and you are killed in the line of duty. You need to have a chosen beneficiary, and maintain it so you have an updated name available to get paid should you pass away. Nothing is worse than your ex wife getting a huge chunk of change to spend the night out of town on while you take a long nap in a pine box! It is EXTREMEMLY IMPORTANT you protect your children. Some insurance companies will place the money into an annuity for the kids (smart idea) some won't let them touch it until they turn 18 or 21. (stupid idea seeing thats what a 21 year old needs is a big chunk of change) Be Smart, Be sensible, and get your affairs in order. Every time the box trips, or the pager goes off, could be your last ride, so be pro~active!!

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know this is a terrible posting, but it is true, nothing would be worse than having your loved ones suffer because the insurance company played a game of chance by selecting your beneficiary
It is true and having 3 kids I raise on my own I know I made sure my ex was no longer the person getting my money. The fact is true and everyone should remember it. My ex used to say if I died she would get my gear put it on me light a fire and call 911 so she get line of duty death bennies
There is nothing terrible about it, planning for the future is never wrong. I have my spelled out very carefully as I am the sole parent of a teenager. It's always good to have a will as well, especially with minor children.
man that pretty rough for someone to say that if you die.
sad but true. My ex would have partied at my expense if I wasn't smart enough to remove her as beneficiary
sad truths all, but in the end, we are our own worst enemies..expectations of virility,strength, and fortitude some how these are are gifts and weaknesses....no one is immune to a loss, wether be be a friend or other, its our respect for the enemy (FIRE) or other entitee of disaster which we must confront daily..those passing are morned,never forgotten, and learned from ( we hope), as to not to repeat what occured.. as for our personal lives, we chose those we care for, they some times turn out sour, we know that outcome..so many have gone that route, as myself years ago..but since off the fireing line now.one reflects as thank u for those who saved me, and saved others before and after me.. and pray for them whom could not save..for they are cherished most...
One of the benefits your departments should look into offering (volunteer and career) is finding a local lawyer who will help you do a will for a reduced cost. We did that and it has been very beneficial; quite a few of the guys took advantage of it. If it's a simple will, which most of them are (it's not like these guys have millions, they're firefighters), it can be done for a reasonable cost.

Since you don't know if today's gonna be the day, don't make your family go through having your estate in probate and your benefits going to the state. Take the time and get a will drawn up and make sure you keep your insurance beneficiaries updated.
this isn't a bad idea. Having everything in order in case of the worst it prevents your estate (no matter how small it is) from becoming state property because the family argues so much over it.
There will be no fuss no muss here,Uncle Sams got the goin away party and everything else is going to the Fallen Firefighters Foundation. After the public auction.
Wow what a post from the past... Over 1 year dormant.

I wonder how many will read this and wonder when they will sign theirs?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service