hey guys i am new to FFN...but ive been reading your discussions and i really would value some input from you...here is my dilema..I am new to the fire/ems field..but i am addicted...i eat sleep and breathe this stuff..i have found my true calling. i have finished My EMT-B and just recently got on a volunteer FD.. while i am getting run time..i am still a rookie...my goal is to become a career ff...but in Ohio to do this almost every FD requires FF-2 and Paramedic...i am taking FF-2 in the summer.... and i found a Medic program to start in the fall(its rigourous..and accellerated(10 months) but has a really good rep..well anyways..i tested for there program and did really well..and the school is telling me i am a really good fit for the program..and people i have worked with are telling me i could do it..but the two peoples oppenion i value most(My Chief and ems Cord) and a little leary...they recommend at least 1 year experience as a basic before going any farther. my question is.. what are some of the pros and cons of jumping into medics quickly?
Any input will be greatly appricated.
Doug Roebuck
Stay Safe God bless!

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get a years experience, it will help you to understand why you are being instructed the way you are and it will ground you a little more in the field. To be honest, and I don't mean to step on any toes, but the Paramedics that I have dealt with that went straight from basic course to paramedic course are cocky and lack common sense in the field.
I am a B for a private co.that does 911 and the chief of a VFD that does 1st responder.I get so frustrated working with medics that went from B to medic.They don't in my experience have the judgement to deal with people which is 95% of any job.They don't realize that other agencies they are working with have their own protocols they have to work with.I worked with one medic who had never worked beside the hwy and all ways turned the lights off when we were at an accident ,would not allow me to position the truck to protect us.He wanted to tell the dept doing extrication how to do their job.I've been thru 2 of these and this is just my experience.Get some experience and spend time with other agencies you will be amazed by how much you learn.This is just my experience, take it for what its worth,I claim to be an expert on nothing.
I see your issue. I have seen Medics who flew straight from EMT-B school to Medic school and they are out on the street. You can always tell the difference between Medics like that and a medic who spent some time as an EMT. Every skill you got as a Medic is based on your skill as an EMT and every Medic call starts off as Basic EMT call. I am in Ohio as well and around here Medics are a dime a dozen, but a good one is worth his/her wirght in gold. I understand your hurry, but I would offer this advice, put in some time as an EMT Basic even if it is while you are going to Medic school. Nothing beats the experience with people that being an EMT will give you. You can work for a private ambulance company and hopefully be partnered with a Medic, but please put in some time.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service