Hey guys I have some quick questions for you because I am going to college soon for pre-service Fire Fighting and I wanted to ask you guys a couple things about your careers now as Fire FIghters.

1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter?

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position?

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter?

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter?

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter?

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting?

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting?

8. Do you anticipate a career change, if you do what change is that?

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter?

Thanks alot guys each question is really important to me and again thanks in advance for your time!

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll start this off by saying I am a volunteer who is working on schooling to become a professional so I don't know how much my answer will help but I will try.
1. My mom helped me decide to become a firefighter. Also, when I joined the EMS explorers and became a Junior Firefighter I fell in love with it.
2. I joined the local department have my entry level firefighter done have to take the practial yet for firefighter one and plan on taking firefighter two after finishing one. Also plan on taking the CPAT sometime before I finish with my Paramedic Degree.
3. I have been a firefighter for one year and was a Junior firefighter for four years.
4. Since I am a volunteer I do whatever duty my seat is assigned too. I general am on the attack team for structure fires and will go in with the first line for any MVA's I take pt. care until the ambulances arrive due to my training as an EMT which most of the other guys don't have.
5. I am a good listener and a fast learner you have to listen to everything because lets face it no matter how much schooling you have had NOTHING is like what you are going to do in the real world. Using JAWS in class room setting compared to in the pooring rain when the pt might die if you don't get them out ASAP is a HUGE difference.
6. I love the family I have gained and the chance I get everyday to learn something new.
7. Losing a friend
8. When I complete my medic I hope to go for my PHRN and then work on a fire medic service such as St. Paul Fire.
9. Join a volunteer department if you have one around you. Never think you know everything listen to all the advice even the obscure comes in handy latter. Find someone in school to help you study a partner I have someone like that and it is helping me so much stay motivated and when it comes time to study for tests. Also it has been said before but respect fire and respect death both happen and both have a power that we can't always stop.
Like most kids I looked up to firefighters, but Not being a legacy,made it more difficult, Thankfully My next door neighbor was an industrial firefighter and also a Volunteer, so I guess I would hav eto say itwas his fault..lol

Well, I graduated High school, somehow, and while I wasnt the best , I wasnt a terrible student either, I dont have a degree, and frankly a degree wouldn't make a lot of differancein My situation.....

I started as a jr in 1975 I also tested and was hired in 1989 as a career firefighter so
33 years total, 19 career 14 as a vollie

well, many of the folks will state the obvious ... protect life and property/ go to fires and medical calls ... that goes without saying in my state the Fire department is the first responder service so we are charged with repsonding and either dealing with any emergency, an dgetting whatever services we need to call in to mitigate any situation that is beyond our abilities with what we carry aboard... which is a pretty big pair of shoes to fill.. when you think about it... I would state that while this is what we are all about day to day duties also include everything from cleaning toilets and the kitchen and living quarters to routine maintenance, mowing the lawn, trimming the trees, picking up trash/ policing the grounds, sitting 2 hour watches as assigned ie: recording alarms and runs, answering the department phone and greeting and logging in visitors and and maintanence persons in and out, WE are all charged with all of our equiptment and the firehouse, our apparatus , house generators, fuel tank and pumps, each of us has assigned responsibilities but all in all , we are all charged with various tasks in house and out in the public. we also do school visitations and public education activities, we do Smoke detector surveys as well as awareness, including a smoke detector giveaway program we operate a homeland security funded Haz mat Decon Trailer as well as a gross decon situation which could have us respond regionally in ourstate and beyond, we also willbegin some heavy marine operations this summer as we've taken delivery of a homeland security 27' boat, we have as part of the northeast Corridor about 17 miles of waterfront, about 20 miles of limited access highway 20 miles of metro north and amtrack and providence and worcester, Conrail railroad commuter, passenger and freight lines, we are seeing quite a bit of refurbished factory buildings and new construction so we also are out doing pre fire and target hazards inspection, medical calls as we are the first responders with a private ambulance doing transport add toall this , that MIne is the only house with 2 engines assigned it, and add in relocations to other parts of the city, whenever another company is off for training or maintenance, manpower issues, and also add the responsability ofhaving to "know " every responce area of the whole city which hudrantshave been placed out of service daily which roads might be closed day to day its pretty involved... I havent mentioned out of city Mutual aid responses among other things ... I could go on...

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter?
Common sense, some guys are electricians , carpenters , other tradesmen, mechanics , landscapers, I think its most important to be smart, have common sense, be able to work with your hands Fighting fires can be back breaking labor intensive and hours long with outa break in extreme weather conditions so can you hang? imagine getting rousted out of bed groggy and disheveled liekthe worst grogness you've ever had... In two minutes your dressed on the rig responding when you pull up and the top floor of a wood frame house has fireshowing out two windows at this point you need to be awake and alert and in action, stretching the line up to the fire or searching for victims, after a few minutes hopefully, the fire knocked down, is when the work begins.... Overhaul is when we remove all theburned contents from the room or rooms after the furnatureis out, we then "pull all the ceilings and walls where ever the fire might be hidden or have impindged upon to be sure the fire is out, all these materials are removed from the structure as well once thishas been accomplished therooms or room is given a final bath as is the pile outside, the hose is drained and packed often after being removed from ice and snow and we return to quarters, oncewe getback is when the work begins as the quiptment and tols have tobe cleaned and putback in order often the hose is washed and placed in the dryer anddryhose is repacked in its place, the trucks are typically washed because theyarecovered with soot and ash and dirt.. Breathing apparatus hast be cleaned and spare bottles refilled as well.. long hours of work..

its exciting, what else can youdo for your community,neighbors or fellow man and where else can you be part of a brotherhood anything like it?

"we" treat real heroes with low pay and harrass them , while "sports heroes" are paid millions in contracts and endorsments and few of them are worthy enough to whipe dog crap off my shoes

never
9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter?
this is depndant on a few things .. your age, and locality where you expect to LOOK for a job an dwhat job are you seeking? a Firefighters? a Chief's?

Some places sponsor explorer programs, Jr Firefighters programs let you learn about the aspects of the job and whatwe have to go through, in some cases they also give you a certain idea of what is expected from a member when it comes to work.. with agod mentorship , you may even be taugh a bit of a work ethic which couldbe an important part of the process, the seniors can give you a betteridea of whats required in your general area as far as getting hired as a firefighter.. If your older joining a local Fire company can do the same thing for you, can show you were to look to find out whose hiring and what they require
The need for volunteers in my community. Always an interest never a career choice.

All my training has come from the dept I volunteer for:
EMT-Basic,
Firefighter I
Firefighter Survival
Grant Writing
Dupont C.A.R.E Car
Foam Operations Class A & B
Weapons of Mass Destruction- Awareness Level
Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings-Awareness Level
HazMat-Awaerness Level
Defensive Driving
ISO 200
Urban Search And Rescue

6 YEARS

EMS CAPTAIN, Training officer( set up EMS TRAINING, Keep Certifications current,dept&personal), maintain medical equipment and inventory, keep up on my own training, Mutual AID member (Keep my dept up to date on local mutual aid meeting decsussions) Truck maitenence ( Every four months, as a volunteer dept we rotate) Keep up to date on latest and greatest in the medical field. (Has anyone seen the new Autopulse by ZOLL Medical.....Kick ASS!!!)

If your thinking of becoming a firefighter, you probably already have the skills... But 18 years of age is all that is required here....

The career job I'm applying for right now requires you to be an EMT-B, take a written tet and be able to pass a physical examination.

The adrenaline rush!!!! Live for it!!!!

POLITICS..... The Pager at three o'clock in the morning just to be 10-22 (Canceled) as you get to the station, and the best........ Get paged out at three o'clock in the morning for the elderly that there is nothing wrong with except for they have fallen and can't get up...... SO YOU CALL 911????????

Possibly. Putting an application in for the full time/career dep this weekt........ But don't think I can walk away from the wages I make currently....... We'll see. Fire service doesn't necessarily pay the bills and feed my family. But it would be fun......

I don't know if I can help you here..... Graduated High School. Been to college twice.... Have Ass. Applied Science in Architectural Engineering. Have Ass. Applied Science in Construction Management. And, now debating on wether to become a career firefighter or not?
1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter? Became a volunteer on a dare from a dear friend I have not seen in absolutely years.

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position? Went to college and majored in criminolgy and recreation management. Not even a close mix considering where I am today.

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter? 28 years, started as volunteer up to Station Captain in volunteer department, moved to career department when my job future in same company took downward spriral due to layoffs, moved straight over from Lt. in security to Lt. in fire department (cmae in with 13 yrs of experience). Promoted 1 year later to Engine Captain and 10 years later to Battalion Chief of Operations.

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter? Battalion Chief of Operations for "C" Platoon.

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter? Common sense, a lot of training in everything, and thinking smart.

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting? Being at my best when the people I need to help are having a moment at their worst.

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting? Bickering among each other, it solves nothing. If you got a problem then tell me the problem and then give me the solution.

8. Do you anticipate a career change, if you do what change is that? Retirement

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter? College is not to learn a profession, it it to learn how to learn. College allowed me to learn how to learn, this by itself allows me create priority in life and job.
1. A friend wanted me to join the department he was on and here I am 19 years later.
2. When I started you just did it, now a degree in Fire Science and IFSAC FF1 and FF2 are needed.
3. 19 Years
4. My rank at present is Lieutenant, I help manage the firehouse and the members of my crew as well as the training budjet, and discipline.
5. Ability to listen and kep your mouth shut unless your asking questions, and a strong stomach
6. The family
7. The paperwork and dealing with the city to get needed things from people who do not understand.
8. Next rank (Captain)
9. Get your head on straight, know that people depend on you, not only the public but your brothers and sisters in the service, Respect the elders and the traditions (thats why you have the opertunity) never let the public see you or your trucks dirty, remember they bought those trucks and gave them to you.
Honestly? I was doing the testing to become a police officer. I saw a poster with a woman on it for the fire department, had never even considered it before. I knew I wanted to be in emergency services, so I researched it for about a year before applying. I met a lot of guys, learned about the job, the relationship with the city, the illnesses, and the comraderie and decided it was for me. I felt I had a lot to offer to the job and new there was a lot for me with the job.

I didn't start the application process until I was 29 years old. My education centered around psychology and sociology. Of course it helps a lot in this job, on calls and in the halls! haha! I also took additional courses, and a minor trade.

I've been with my department for 2 years, feels like yesterday.

Everything and anything!! haha! From cleaning toilets, to flushing the pump, to all aspects on the ground (we're trained to do everything from search/rescue, fire attack, ventilation, RIT, etc), as well as extrication, medicals, and elevator calls.

patience, integrity, strength, intelligence, mechanical ability, etc, etc... knowledge of certain aspects is one thing, being able to be taught is another!

The work... any work. I don't like being idle. I'm lucky to be in a station that trains when it's not cleaning, cooking or responding to calls. We're fairly busy 5-12 calls a shift (10 or 14 hours) on average. The calls may be the same, such as "mvc", "structure fire", "alarms", but the specifics are almost always different. Some areas even the priority two calls can turn into something. It's exciting, and it's nice to be able to say you did what you could and did it well no matter what the outcome.

Sometimes the calls are tough when there's kids involved. Sometimes the days are long. Sometimes there are injuries or fatalities among your firefighting family. These things are not fun.

Never! That's an easy one!

Perservere!! Sometimes it can take awhile to achieve this goal. I was almost 6 years from the time I applied until the time I was hired. It was a long time and at times I felt like giving up, but you can't... how happy would I be today if I had stayed at a desk job??? Not very!! lol Keep working and when someone tells you to call a friend of theirs who may be able to help, CALL. No time to be shy (it took me almost two years to actually work up the nerve to "bug" someone)! Visit the halls, ask good questions and keep working. Networking is never a bad idea, especially if you plan on working with them some day... oh and always bring a treat!
Hi Brother, If it was I just from my expierences I would not hesitate to go to FairFax VA and get a career job they are top notch and first class department and they truly look after their military members. Hughie The 57 House GO PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!! GO FOR No. 6!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service