Can anyone tell me the life expectancy of foam? I beleive it used to be 10 years, but them someone else mentioned that NFPA had revised this.

We're from Australia and don't have a standard for this- we revert back to the NFPA for this- I don't really want to purchase any material from them just to get one quick answer! Any help?

Also to add- is the life expectancy different if regular testing is done on the product?

Views: 227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am presuming you are asking about the shelf life, but are you asking about fixed commercial suppression systems or what you carry on your apparatus? For concentrate carried on the apparatus, most manufacturers give a shelf life of a sealed container to be between 20 and 25 years. Protein type concentrates have a shelf life of about 7 to 10 years. You should be able to read the NFPA online free at: www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/list_of_codes_and_standards.asp
Oldman is absolutly right, you should also consult the manufacturer of your foam and what is there recomendation is but it should mirror nfpa.

P.S. I cannot give you an answer as to regular testing of the product, you gave me something to think about though I am going to go and look at our foam.
I assume it's this one http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/AboutTheCodes.asp?DocNum=11 , but you can't read it- you have to buy it, unless I'm looking at it incorrectly...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service