FIREFIGHTER FATALITY REDUCTION LEGISLATION: This week, U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH) along with John Kerry (D-MA) introduced legislation that would promote compliance with consensus safety standards to reduce the number of avoidable fatalities among fire fighters. While the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and other groups have developed industry safety standards, they are voluntary in nature and often ignored by fire departments. Brown’s bill would encourage the adoption of national consensus fire fighter safety standards and promote fire department compliance with such standards. “We shouldn't have to think twice about bolstering the safety of our fire fighters,” Ohio's Brown said. “Our first responders put their lives at risk daily across Ohio. We should take this opportunity to prevent fire fighter injury and death.”

Ohio Senator Brown’s legislation, the Firefighter Fatality Reduction Act, would require the DHS to determine the rate of fire department compliance with standards for safe operations, staffing, training and fitness among career, volunteer, and combination fire departments. It would create a task force to explore the adoption of safety standards by fire departments and provide recommendations to the Congress, states, and localities on how to increase fire department compliance with safety standards. This bill would not mandate federal oversight of local fire departments, but instead would explore how the federal government could best promote fire fighter safety standards and assist fire departments with compliance. (From the Secret List)

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this. Pro's, Con's, Suggestions, etc.

Views: 201

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said Spanner.
I am all for anything that is going to promote Safety.. Seeing's how not a month ago I had 2 of my men bust out a window to fall 6ft to the ground. because of an Air Pack malfunction. On the other hand-- The small Volunteer Department's like the one I am from. Is having a hard time keeping up with the changes about the time we are there they change some else and we don't have the money to spend here and there. We do the best we can and it is an on going thing with all our guys is to preach Safety. If it's put out there and department's don't follow the guidelines they can't say they wasn't told.
We are our own worst enemy and best friend. I don't think we need government involvement. We have to start at home with training, training, training. We all talk about watching out for each other then we need to start practicing what we preach, a government agency is not going to do that. If you have someone who is the hotdog or repeat offender they they need to be addressed before they get themselves or someone else hurt. The money spent on another legislation would I think be better spent in helping to supply the means for training and getting equipment.
An important thing to remember here is that many of the guidelines that we all rely on (specifically NFPA) are voluntary regulations designed for adaptation by the state or local governing body. Oftentimes, the state, county, city or individual department adopts by policy particular articles or regulations by their internal policies.

That being said, check your local procedures and find out where your department stands on which issues. Read the regulations to find out which regulations are cross referenced within them. For example, The State of New York has adopted NFPA 1, Uniform Fire Code which also includes, by reference, 119 other codes and standards set forth by NFPA. These include a wide range of codes covering everything from fire prevention to firefighter safety.

Too many times it is a lack of awareness to the adopted regulation that gives NFPA the "it's only voluntary" label and the feeling that it is ineffective. If company officers are aware of the requirements of their state and local policies, these requirements may be better enforced.

My point here is this: We are responsible for our own safety. We are responsible for knowing what is expected of us and complying with our departments policies and procedures. Take care of yourselves. Be aware of the policies and procedures that are already in place. Do we need more regulation? I think we do not. We have a system of adoption of the existing codes that has been in place for a long time. Do we change the procedure because we don't know how to use it? Again, I think not. We learn the way that things work and we comply with what is expected of us.

Thanks,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service