I know this might be a bad topic right now with everything going on, but I need your help in identifying the type of building construction features that the Sofa Super Store had. I am having to analyze it for a Building Construction class I am taking for my Fire Degree. If you have any insight into this I would so much appreciate it. I can't get anything on it due to there being a gag order out on this.

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps you should more direct them towards the fact of building contents making the building type an oven. Furniture is like solid gasoline, and burns extremly hot. I am also pretty sure (based on most furniture stores) it was stocked to the gills, so the fire load was immense for a short span of building. Not having a sprinkler system didn't help any. I know this isn't much on building construction, but I seriously feel this fire would have been intense reguarless of what the construction type. Good Luck
I haven't heard a lot about it, but I did hear it was a bowstring truss with a drop tile ceiling. I would typically assume block walls, but it was probably added onto a hundred times and with who knows what.
Thank you for your assistance! It is helping me a bunch on the analysis
You might have some success checking Firehouse.com and Fire Engineering's website. Also, refer to Brannagin's 'Building Construction for the Fire Service'. Another good text is 'Collapse of Burning Buildings', which I believe is by Dunn.

I have heard that the building had several additions and renovations. Also, the fire started in a loading bay dumpster outside the building. Reports indicate there was puffing smoke issuing through various locations in the drop ceiling not long before they lost control. This is information from my training officer, I'm sorry but I don't have anything else on it.

As for the building itself, the sheer size would indicate a metal or wood bowstring truss roof. The PVC components of the stored furniture burn at least twice as hot as wood products, the fire load must have been immense. If you search through Google, you should be able to find some good pictures that might help you out.
From what I could see in pics it was block walls and barjoyce construction,long spans with steel colums. Common warehouse construction,hard to judge from pics
I'm glad to see that we (firefighters) are learning from a tragic accident. This is an important step to becoming better firefighters. According to NFPA 220, Standard on Types of Building Construction, a building with exterior walls constructed of masonry, and interior walls, columns, beams, floors, and roofs constructed partially or wholly of combustible materials, would be considered Type III construction (Ordinary Construction). Without knowing what the interior walls were constructed from, it's difficult to tell for sure. You're on the right track. There are many sources of information, some even on FFN! Check out this webpage: http://static.wciv.com/niosh.pdf and see what you can find. It contains the preliminary findings from NIOSH. It's good information. The roof was a flat roof, supported by open web bar joists, or lightweight construction.....a major contributor to firefighter deaths. Keep searching and you'll find your answers. We're all here to help each other! Good luck with your project.
Go to the recent issued reports and also the posting here on the FFN; ATF's Report on the Charleston Sofa Super Store Fire posted by Christopher J. Naum, SFPE on July 10, 2008 at 10:19pm in Building Construction & Firefighter Safety, Please contact me if you'd like to discuss the construction features and more details, we can set up a time and date. I posted a before fire picture of the steel framed building on the 07/10 FFN posting.
Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service