Hello everyone
I am the rescue school coordinator for the Adventure Sports Center in Western Md. I trying to get some information from you guys about what you think, I have a man-made whitewater course that can push 250,000 gpm (600 cfs) and I can change the features of my rapids from nice and fluffly to oh my God I can't get out. My question is this something the fire industry would use? And should they?
If you go to www.adventuresportscenter.com there is a video of the course to give you an idea of the course. If you want to see something funny go to Youtube and watch me get crushed by a raft while surfing on my rescue board. look up man get hit by raft.

Views: 301

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh my god that looks awesome!!!!! our class could have used those. it would be more like the real thing swim wise and i think it would be good if you lived in the area and could use it to refresh skills.
Besides the obvious that, IT ROCKS! I think it could easily be used for far better than most swiftwater cert. classes, although the cost is already high for these things!The training could def. be more extensive due to the controls. Can you keep the water warm until I get there? Looks like you have too much fun!
A lotta possibilities. If you can make it affordable enough for small departments. I'd go!
So I offer SWR classes now at 150.00 for a two class. Do you think that is a resonable price
That sounds reasonable!
Thanks Sean,
Let's get them down here. This past weekend I put a truck in the course and we did extractions from the truck while in the water
Attachments:
I'm a swiftwater rescue swimmer in Wausau, WI and I can tell you that compared to most swiftwater rescue classes 150 is dirt cheap for two days.

Having a man-made course is great for practice because you can have plenty of different and challenging situations in a "controlled" environment that is relatively safe. In Wausau we offer swiftwater training on our whitewater kayak course which allows participants to see and experience swiftwater. Our river is dam controlled so they get the added benefit of being able to see what the river looks like at 25cfs and then at 650cfs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service