I don't know maybe too long as a truckie makes me see things in a different light but it seems use of ladders have faded more and more. I have seen to many calls where a ladder truck is a block away and no second means of regress is made. I see 3 hose lines going into a front door and fire on the second and not a ground ladder in place. I have made that leap of faith knowing and hearing a crew put a ladder on the B-side when all hell broke lose and I needed it there. I just feel more and more people are forgetting for every means of egress there needs to be 2 means of regress. It sucks to find your self 30 feet up and no stairs are able to be reached and 5 ground ladders are sitting pretty on a truck.

Views: 192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's all about how you train..you got to have your engine crew get the line into the house and the truck crew get the ladders set up...im sure most of the time there are extra guys just standing around the scene not doing to much its perfect thing to have them set up..if you got a fire on floor 2 then a ladder should be set up for safety reasons also. I agree its not always the first thing people are gonna jump to do but it is a very important thing that has to be done.
As a former truckie and a current engine guy I too worrie about whether ground ladders are being thrown. I am lucky to be assigned to a two Company house and to have a truck crew that is very proactive about ladders. i also see other crews that dont take the time to do it. even if you only assign the operator of the first due truck to start laddering the building you can have all the 16 and 24 footers thrown to the windows and balcanys untill more help arrives. I think part of the problem is that crews spend so much of there time doing inspections and written quick drills that they get out of practice with there ladders and other tools of the trade.
Unfortuanlty far to often the Trucks position is dictated by the first arriving engine instead of the truck co. officer. Its hit or miss in my FD wether or not they leave us a spot.

One thing I can say is that if they don't at least we throw ground ladders for days!!!! Even the engine drivers throw there only extension ladder to provide emegerncy exit for the first hose line.
We do a pretty decent job of getting them up. We have serious manpower problems, and we still seem to make ladders a priority. With our situation of low manpower (especially right at the start) we cover each other real well and expand operations as we get help. It hasn't always been as good as it is now, so I surely know where Dan is coming from.
if the cops are really this much of a problem why hasent your chief talked to theres? If that dosent work then have your PIO mention your police enduced access problems every time he is interviewed by the press after a fire. just some random thoughts......
Couple of things come to mind about using ladders: 1) We do use them less than ever before, lack of manpower, lack of Command in how to do it right; 2) the old guys are retiring who did that kind of work all the time, the kinds of structure we had then and have now has changed (why put a ladder up when the light weight construction while fully involved in the next 10 minutes which is same amount of time it will take to get the ladder up, manpower is better spent elsewhere; 3) our department went to Squirts years ago because of all the above, I can have that 65, 75, or 85 foot Squirt up and nearly anywhere I need it in 4 minutes, plus the hose with all the tools I need awfully fast. Costs more but sure works good in all kinds of weather.
I know our SOP's are that the first in engine pulls forward of the fire to allow for the truck to park in front, and that grounds ladders will be thrown on all fires. I have yet to see a fire that we have run, that this has not been done on.
Dan, I feel your pain. I am also a Truck guy who gets assigned to an Engine or Medic every so often, so I think like a Truckie whatever apparatus I'm on. I also agree that as a whole my FD's do not throw enough ground ladders. and if we do throw them, it is usually to reach something and not as an egress. I made a vow to myself after the last fire, that I would start throwing ladders again regardless of who likes it or not. Ground ladders is a learned skill and I am really trying to teach it to my FD's. patience and prayer is all we have to go on until we get the point across that ladders save lives. I know we all have limited manpower, but this is something we MUST HAVE DONE! thank you dan, for voicing my opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service