I will be starting as a volunteer in June and have heard that there can be issues in regards to the treatment of Volunteers and paid FF. I would appreciate any information, advice, or comments.

Thanks!
PLEASE BE SAFE!
:-)

Views: 239

Replies to This Discussion

volunteers and paid ff are the same as long as u a the relationship with all ur bothers
I'm sure it depends on the jurisdiction and even the specific station and shift. In most combination houses, though, I think there are a few career people who have a "thing" about volunteers and a few volunteers who have a "thing" about career people, but ultimately almost everybody respects volunteers who pull their weight and deliver on commitments. We even have a lot of career people who volunteer in neighboring jurisdictions or vice versa.

It helps if your department or jurisdiction has a clear policy in place that standardizes rank requirements, so, for example, a volunteer lieutenant necessarily has the same training and time-in-grade as a paid lieutenant. Most of the horror stories I've heard about career/volunteer tension deal with command-level issues or local politics, not with the stuff you'll be responsible for as a new volunteer. (Issues like: Who sets training standards for government-employed drivers of volunteer-owned apparatus? If the IAFF local has negotiated an annual physical that exceeds NFPA standards, does it apply to volunteers? Policy stuff, in other words.)
i have has some of the some questions when i joined the Vol. Dept i am on, being we are so close to a paid area, but i have not seen anything but professionalism on both sides the few times we worked with them, and i agree with mike in his post there might always be some issues with paid and Vol but for the most part everyone treats everyone as equal.
The easiest thing to do regardless if its paid or volunteer is to treat everyone with respect cause you are the probie, and if you dont know the answers admit you dont know the answers, no one likes someone who tries to BS their way out of learning. I agree that most of the riffs come from LT. and up usually LT and Capt. at the station levels, usually 1 has 1more class than the vollies and want to hold it over their heads. But keep sharp and learn from everyone. Don't try to be like someone else no matter how good they are, just take the good points from alot of FF you trust and build your own character and work ethic. Be good and stay safe.
I am on a volunteer dept with a paid dept right next to us. Half our calls are mutual aid to that dept. we have the upmost respect for each other because when your in full gear you can't tell paid from volunteer
we have a paid ems from 6am to 6 pm. well some time we butt heads and some time we work together we are all out there to due the same job and that is to help our town out in any wasy we can
I have experienced the "bad blood" between Volunteer and Paid Departments. A couple of years ago I was asked by an Assistant Chief if I had a problem with his men. My answer was two fold...........No but Yes. As a volunteer firefighter I take it to heart when those who don't know put us down; however, I take it personally when those who do know (Paid FF) take it upon themselves to disparage Volunteers. My problem with his department was that in a discussion in which I was involved with a Paid member of his department stated "I would not go into a burning building with our local volunteers". What was once a respected person in my view no longer deserves such from myself or any firefighter. I pointed this situation out to the AC and to his credit he acknowledged something very relevant. This FF has been the lead in trainning most of the Volunteers in our area. Perhaps he was accepting that his trainning course is lacking? I have trainned under him since and the course is fine, the attitude is what sucks. Why is it this way here and all over this country?

I believe training is a small part of it, with the bulk being caused by Unions. Everyone looks at Volunteers as being less capable than paid firefighters. In the past the root of these beliefs were well founded. In todays world the gap is closing quickly. There is a mind set to change the perception of volunteer fire departments. We are now forced to prove our worth, and I must say that most are rising to the challenge. What I learned from the AC's question was that we are our own worst enemy. If we want to achieve the respect of a "professional", then we must take the actions necessary to make it so. Many of our counties volunteers have achieved levels of trainning equal to and in many cases exceeding that of paid firefighters. It has made a difference in our local communities. In our department almost half have achieved level II firefighter certification. The amount raised during our fundraisers has more than doubled in less than 10 years. It is a direct result in the public (and paid firefighters) seeing us as a valuable asset in the community and not just foundation savers.

Our department was requested to assist the counties only paid fire department (along with six others). This was monumental as without the increased level of trainning in our department I do not beleive they would have made that call yet.

Bottom line: The public will view you the way you present yourself.
Its been my experience that if you behave like a professional you will be treated like one. However it is true that others have not been so lucky. My advice take the "high road." Show up on time, wear your uniform properly etc.
in our county in NC half of all the paid city firemen are volunteers.we have two or three on my department that are volunteer and paid.and sometimes we all have our differences but we all get along pretty good
You will find some of the paid FF will treat you as if you are nothing but just remember this.....they can't do the job without volunteers. I am a volunteer and a paid FF and I know from first hand experience that volunteers are the back bone of any fire department. Just keep you head up high and everything will be just fine!
im hopeing to make a goood example to my new dept i come from a paid dept and just joined my 1st vol. dept i dont think there is a diffrence between either one as long as both know what they are doing training so far is the same im just glad i dont have to cook
there really aint noi prob between volunteers and paid guys the only difference is vol. dont cash a check at the end of the week

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service