I have been involved in discussions about this topic for several years and my opinion on those who engage in the practice has never changed.
There is no reason, excuse or logic that can convince me that a firefighter who commits arson is a "good person".
There is no lower form of life in my mind. It is shameful, a betrayal and downright dangerous to those who are the target and to those who respond.
Here is the latest, huge black eye on our nation's fire service:
http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?id=58612&s...
That's EIGHT who are charged.
Keep in mind, innocent until proven guilty.
But, it doesn't look good for the home team.
TCSS.
Art

Views: 426

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Guess we are lucky. I have been around fire fighting for about 10 years now. We had a local citizen that would start fires in abondoned places. He was finally caught and proscuted. Had one fireman call in with cell phone. He was caught because the chief had everyone at the station and had dispatch do a call back. DUH his phone rang with everyone standing there. Luckly his fire was a small trash pile. Needless to stay egg on his face at station when phone rang. He is no longer related to anything fire. Small town small community was not a pretty thing to have to live with. We have probably had/have more but there as far as I know nobody caught.
Joe:
I have put together some info in the blog that I wrote yesterday.
You may find some of it worthwhile.
Check it out: http://www.firefighternation.com/profiles/blog/show?id=889755%3ABlo...
Discuss it here.
TCSS.
Art
I as well find it beyond comprehension how some person who portrays themselves as a fire service professional (paid or not) could do such a thing. As others have said already, if they are in fact guilty of the crime, they are no longer firefighters. Going a step further, they most likely never really were firefighters in the first place, just posing as such.
Its really a shame these things happen. Does anyone know if a scientific study of these persons has been done? If so, maybe the VFIS, USFA, or other organization could put together a program to help departments with this issue. Starting with hiring, and continuing up to and including a member being caught. Just a thought.
Jeff:
Check out my blog.
There is an FBI profile of a firefighter arsonist.
And yes; there are studies dating back to 1993, I believe.
There is a 59 page study by USFA on firefighter arson.
TCSS.
Art
Okay, we're back to the background check issue again. The profile elements are good in that they represent the "typical" FA, however: If the elements were formed into questions, how many could we legally ask an applicant? I'll paste them here from your blog, with the probable answers in parenthesis.

1) White male, age 17 – 25. (YES, no brainer)

2) One or both parents missing from home during childhood. If they are from an intact home, the home atmosphere was mixed and unstable. (NO)

3) Dysfunctional. One of the parents left the home before the child reached age 17. Cold, distant, hostile or aggressive relationship with the natural father. (NO)

4) Poor marital adjustment. If not married, still living at home with the parents. (may be inferred from casual conversation or application information)

5) Lack of stable, interpersonal relationships. (NO)

6) Poor occupational adjustment. Menial laborer, skilled laborer or clerical jobs. (may be inferred from job history/resume)

7) Interested in the fire service in the context that it provides an arena for excitement; NOT for the sake of public service. (may pick up on this from interview questions)

8) Alcoholism, childhood hyperactivity, homosexuality, depression, borderline personality disorder and suicidal tendencies. (NO)

9) Mixed findings on intelligence, but most found to have average to higher intelligence, but poor academic performance. (may be inferred from interview or application questions)

Does a typical background check (discussed in other threads) reveal enough information to answer the "no" items?
We have experienced three fires in our area over the course of the last 6 months. Two were confirmed arsons, while the third was so totally destroyed that no determination could be made by inverstgators.
By themselves they appear random classic arson or suspicious fires, but further examination reveals some striking simularities:

1. All the fires occured in a straight line or corridore covering about 3 or 4 miles.
2. All were "operating businesses" ... one parts salvage shop, one moving company, and one multi business market or strip mall.
3. All occured a short time after the last workers closed up for the night.
4. While they occured in 3 different fire protection districts, there are about 4 or 5 different departments which were all involved in fighting all of these fires.

More and more the perverbial finger is, for many, beginning to point to a firefighter as the one responsible for these fires, possibly a member of a department right in the middle of this corridor, who is confident his or her unit will respond, either as primary or as mutual aid.
While these types may posses average or higher intelligence, they eventualy do something "out of the ordinary" and they will be discovered ... hopefully before someone gets hurt or killed.
Bob:
Sounds like you have done a great job of connecting the dots and not taking for granted what appears at first glance.
I pray that you catch them before they decide to up the ante and goes after an occupied structure.
TCSS.
Art
Art,
This afternoon I had a meeting with our chief on other matters and the subject came up. I gave him my theory and he agreed with my assesment. The investigators involved with all three fires have privately expressed the same thoughts.
There are alot of older abandoned structures in our area which this person seems to be ignoring: possibly to divert susspision. But, as you probably know, abandoned buildings often pose a serious, more dangerous situation for fire crews than occupied ones.

We have had two arsonists in our city over the past couple decades and one was a firefighter. We were fortunate to catch them and both are still in prison, but it is still a bad situation for all involved.
I believe if you are a firefighter, and start fires just to put them out, or for the "rush",when your department gets toned. When you are caught you should get the maximum punishment allowed by law, or legislation should be enacted for "special prosecution of firefighter arsonist"
The same if you are a Police Officer, EMT, Priest, or any other "Profession" where you are in a position where you are to help people during their time of need. not take advantage of them.
When I was a Military Police officer, during training we were told if you get into trouble and the media get ahold of it it will read "M.P. yada yada yada" not a solder from Michigan. The same is true for Firefighters, we are here to prevent fires not start them
If someone is a firefighter for the "rush" and not to help there fellow man, they might want to think about jumping out of planes for excitment, that is a rush of adrenaline.
We have to be at the top of our game on duty and off, we as firefighters cannot let poor judgment or bad descisions become a "black eye" for every firefighter in the world.
We are who the public turn to when they need us most, when their down, their house is on fire, have just been in their first accident, or when a loved one has just past, we are the ones who must maintain our professionalism at all cost.
For ourselves, our department, and all firefighters everywhere
One of my close friends and a fellow firefighter and another firefighter set 9 houses on fire in our county. His department along with mine and a few others were called to them. His on everyone. It was mind blowing when he was arrested. I thought we had a good enough relationship that he wouldn't lie to me when I asked him about it, he lied. So it was so painful knowing that I was friends with someone who did such a messed up thing. Now looking back it's like he was my friend but now hes a guy sitting in jail and he's kinda become dead to me. Arson is the worst thing any firefighter can do. It gives firefighters a bad name.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service