I have been conducting our department's training in Response Safety for the past few years. Here are the main points I've been trying to get across about responding in privately owned vehicles.

See if there are any things that come to mind, that I may have missed.

_________

Introduction

YOU CAN DIE RESPONDING TO, OPERATING AT, OR RETURNING FROM A CALL! RESPONSE SAFETY IS EVERYONE’S JOB

Response safety begins when the tones drop, and ends when we get to our destination SAFELY

Personal Vehicles

Get to your vehicle safely!

Make sure of your destination before leaving home or station

Dress appropriately for type of call and/or weather

We must arrive at an emergency scene or the fire station safely in order to be of any help

Personal vehicles are not emergency vehicles

Any member observed breaking traffic laws or operating their personal vehicle in an aggressive or unsafe manner may be subject to disciplinary action

All members responding in their personal vehicle shall wear seat belts while responding to, and returning from, emergency incidents.

Members responding in personal vehicles shall: never exceed the posted speed limit; come to a complete stop at all stop signs and red traffic signals; and wait for normal right of way before proceeding.

Blue lights are a visual display asking other drivers to allow a volunteer firefighter to pass them upon approach. Blue Lights do not permit the driver of a personal vehicle to illegally pass or speed up to overtake other vehicles.

Use caution while approaching and parking vehicles

Always yield right-of-way for fire and emergency apparatus exiting the fire house, responding to or arriving at the scene

Members following fire apparatus in their personal vehicles shall not pass the apparatus unless directed otherwise by the apparatus driver.

All personal vehicles shall be parked on the same side of the road as fire apparatus unless directed otherwise by Fire Police or other Line Officer.

Views: 342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Joe,

I just threw it in on the Code 3 response blog... the nature of the call should dictate the response. As important as some of our calls can be they are not all LIFE threatening. I would include a matrix using Life, Property and the Environment against Code 1 and Code 3 response. (Or Code 2 as the case may be with the blue light.)
A few clips from our SOP:
1. Reckless driving will not be permitted under any circumstances.
2. Under no circumstances will four way flashers be used while responding to an alarm.
3. POV’s shall not exceed the posted speed limit.
4. When a responding POV encounters a stop sign, a complete stop shall be made and continue only after all other vehicles have yielded the right of way.
5. When a responding POV encounters a red traffic light, a complete stop shall be made. The POV may continue only after the light has changed to green and all other vehicles have yielded the right of way.
6. POV’s shall always drive as the conditions (road/weather) permit and use DUE REGARD.
7. Under no circumstance will a POV pass a stopped school bus with its lights flashing and stop sign extended. The POV will not pass until the stop sign is retracted and the bus driver signals you around.
8. Upon arrival at the emergency scene, all POV’s shall park at least 200 feet away and shall not interfere with the normal flow of traffic or emergency vehicles.
9. If hazardous materials are involved in the incident the POV is responding to, the POV shall park at least 400 feet away and shall in no way inhibit emergency vehicles on the scene or entering the scene.
10. When responding to an emergency the POV shall remain at least 500 feet behind, and shall NEVER pass responding apparatus.
11. POV’s shall not be used to block traffic at intersections for emergency vehicles or other POV’s.
12. The red dash light does not give you the right of way; it is only a request for right of way.

Remember, always drive defensively! Our job is to respond to emergencies and control them, not create them.
Remember the first 2 questions asked by lawyers for the person or people you hit are

1. Was Due Reguard used?

2. Was the responder going to a "true Emergency"

Remember we in POV's are only able to request the right of way, never assume you are guaranteed it. Remember this also law says that if your lights are on, you must be operating a siren also. (unless parked on scene) If you don't think a siren is necessary, neither are your lights.

I HIGHLY recommend you all try to get the VFIS drivers training class to your station house. It is a Great training, and will hopefully open up the eyes of your responders.
Great stuff so far! A couple of comments:

The "due regard" thing is a good point, although I think it's more applicable to the emergency vehicle drivers. I know that in other states all FFs can have red light and siren, however here in New York FFs use blue lights, and are afforded NO special privileges whatsoever. All V&T laws - speed limits, intersections, all of it - have to be obeyed as if one were out on a Sunday drive.

And I think our insurance company is strongly suggesting a drivers' course for our members, which is apparently different from the NYS EVOC training. It may be the VFIS course; I'll let you know more as I find out.

Keep it coming!
Ted, thanks for the info on the VFIS-EVOC link. Definitely sounds like the VFIS is an absolute must for volunteers.
Our SOP is a lot like D.R. Lewis, pov is a request not a right, and they had better stop at all the right spots. We had one that blew through a stop sign in front of the captain and he was grounded from running emergency and driving any equipment for 3 months. School Zones are considered another place that you obey completely the speed posted, you never know when a child might run out.
Keep in mind that a police officer may require someone responding POV to move their personal vehicle; blue light, fire department sticker; it won't matter.
Apparatus is another issue.
If POVs are not inside the safety zone, they are fair game for the cops and targets for the motoring public.
POV response should be a last resort and not a first option.
You have laid it out nicely though for those who do respond POV.
Thanks.
Art
Blow through a school zone POV or in apparatus, and my chief finds out, and that funny feeling in the seat of your pants will be his boot in your division C. Let him see you do it, and you have at the very least a 90 day "unpaid vacation," if not permanently. We also hold a VFIS EVOC class once a year. Attendance is mandatory if you wish to continue driving our apparatus.

bump

Some states use red or red and white lights on their vehicles,  must be equipped with a siren (both with chief written permission), cannot go more than 10mph over in good conditions, must still obey traffic control signs or signals, must still yeild to emergency vehicles.  Park on same side unless otherwise instructed or forced to do otherwise as to not block other roads or driveways.

We must arrive at an emergency scene or the fire station safely in order to be of any help

Still remains the most simplistic and common sense rule out there.

If it's burnin' when the tone drops, it'll probable be burnin' when you get there.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service