... or is there?

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/feb/18/fire-alarm-doesnt-mean-...

Excerpts:

"The departments will not respond to calls from security companies unless the resident or someone else sees or smells smoke. Previously, an alarm was sufficient to trigger a call from the security company to the fire department for response.

"Kurtzman, though, questions what would happen if he were out of town or, in a worst-case scenario, if he and his wife were unconscious in their burning home.

"In that circumstance, ADT would call the home and nobody would answer — and the Fire Department would not respond."

-----

Why bother installing a fire alarm system if it's assumed that it will just send out false alarms?

Views: 328

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yikes, that's scary. Heck, if you took the "false alarm" calls out of our call volume, downtown would be less than the outerlying areas... lol. (okay, maybe not, there's still the rubbies... lol). We respond priority one until we are told by dispatch that it is a confirmed false alarm, we then respond priority two, double check, make sure there are no issues and then clear. It's not confirmed until we confirm it's confirmed.

I agree, what's the point of installing something if it has to be called in by a witness anyway. Your alarm goes off because there's a fire in your basement, maybe in a room with no windows, by the time the smoke billows out enough for someone to see it, or flames breach a window, the home is gone... that's really too bad. Glad that's not how we run here... no answer, no fire response... completely disgusting.
Completely agreed! Here, if it comes in as an accidental trip I still go non-emergency just to confirm with the homeowner or occupant, and make the department presence known. In the larger departments it's common to send only one engine, not a full assignment to an automatic alarm.

When I moved into my house, one of the first things I invested in was an alarm system. Why? Because without one, on a typical week day the first indication of a fire in the house would be an angry column of smoke pushing up through the trees.

A municipal department ignoring alarms like this is an excellent example of poor customer service, IMHO.
There was a similar situation in New Hampshire. An automatic fire alarm at night was called in for a 3 story apartment house. A police officer 1 mile away was first on scene and called the dispatcher to cancel the fire department because there was no problem. Come to find out the house was masked by some large pine trees in the front yard and the officer missed the fire at the peak of the house. The chief already being awake cancelled all units and responded to the scene to give it a look over to confirm. A half mile away he saw the glow in the sky and knew they were in trouble.

Second case, and this one happened locally. Alarm company made contact with the homeowner who stated no problem at the residence. When the first due engine arrived and checked where the detector was that was tripped they found a small electrical fire in the mechanical room. In this case the FD responded to the scene to confirm and saved the homeowner from damage. Always assume the worst until you confirm anything. This goes for wearing your PPE and also a SCBA on all FAA's.

Plain and simple, all fire alarms are just like 9-1-1 calls, and should be treated as such until absolutely confirmed.
If they are arguing that false alarms needlessly tie up apparatus and manpower, then during that same three year period that was recorded, how many times did the fire department have to respond from the scene of an automatic alarm?
I don't see that data. Perhaps they were talking hypothetically.
And I agree. There is no sense in having the alarm, because if you are home, you KNOW if there is a problem. If you are away from home, THAT'S WHY YOU HAVE THE ALARM!
Only in America.
Art
Art, as you know they would be singing the prasises of Fire alarm system when they save a house because of a fire alarm system, yet they complain they get too many false alarms. Can't have the best of both worlds at all can they? Maybe they should impose a small fine for multi False fire alarm activations in a calander year and see if that cuts back on the false alarms and folks who just refuse to update their detectors.
It would be a new revenue stream for destitute fire departments. In most states, a fire district could pass an ordinance that would require inspections and fines for violations.
And you are right; many cities ARE imposing fines for multiple false alarms to the same address.
Things get fixed very quickly when the fine costs more than the repair.
Agreed.
Art
This is a simple case of "it has not happened to me and it never will." One day it will catch up with Vegas and Henderson. And everyone will be questioning why the fire departments have this policy, and how did they let this happen. I live in Pa But I have family that lives in Henderson, I am appalled that they would try something like this. I had a false alarm this morning before I came to work. I knew it was going to be a false before the call finished coming through. Did I go?...... You bet I did. What if It was a electrical fire that put off a small amount of smoke to set off the detector and was running up the wall and into the second floor while we are on our way. This can be what If ed to death but a alarm activation should be treated as a working fire until confirmed that there is no fire by Fire units actually on scene.
Yes; charging for alarms must be tempered with common sense and reasonableness.
Make sure the PR department and PIO are fully engaged in the process for any fall out.
Spin to win!
Art
I can see responding non-emergency with a single unit to check out the alarm. If more reports come in you can always upgrade to the still or fill the box and get more help. Abusers (those with faulty systems) should be charged/fined.
Just to clarify: ADT is not the problem, it's the fire department. ADT will still notify the FD but unless the alarm comes from a school, hospital or similar high-occupancy, no equipment is dispatched. I wonder if they hang up on the alarm company, or claim "wrong number", or pretend to not understand English, or...
The way we do it is after the third false alarm in a year they get a fifty dollar fine. It is crazy to cut out alarm activations all together.

Eventually that will bight them in the butt.
The building I used to work in several years back in downtown Smallbany was one of the original buildings dating back to the 1700's. Piles and piles of old wiring...and we had an auto alarm box which periodically would set off a false call.

The responding department was paid, and had a long-standing policy of "two freebies a month" for false alarms; but the third nuisance call in the same month would generate a fine ($200). We were on first name basis with half the firefighters. Eventually the building's owners ripped out all the old wiring and installed a new alarm system, but until then, we were a revenue cash cow for the department....no wonder they all had such spiffy Class A's.

BUT....shortly after the new alarm system was installed....guess what, we had a legit fire in our storage area....the responding truck never behaved as though they thought it was yet another false alarm, and thank god for that, because even with a >4 minute response, we still experienced heavy smoke and fire damage.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service