Hi, I retired from Local 136 Dayton, Ohio in 2003. I've been an ASE Certified Master Auto Tech for years and I work with a retired automotive professor who just finished a hybrid book. We'd like to know if there would be interest in this kind of material. All makes and models. He has 20 automotive books in publication with a major publisher.We could put together a book for this area. How could I track down numbers for Professional and Volunteer fire departments and how would you like to see the material presented. Just could save a brother or sisters life. Thanks, James. Yes I miss the job.

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James, Know a bunch of departments that would be interseted in that style of book in my area. As far as presentation maybe organized by manufacture and then what models have a common system with seperate sections for airbags, hybrids and and alt. fuel. Maybe sorta along the lines of hazmat guide. Just a few ideas off the top of my head. Any other questions please drop me a line here or thru email
Marc, Thanks for the responce. That was what I was thinking. Prentice-Hall (publisher) would like to know the numbers of departments or in other words would it be worth the effort. There is a chapter in James D. Halderman's book Hybrids that you might want to glance at. Since we travel in the automotive teaching cicuit we have all the info available. I had one man here in The Dayton, Ohio area that put together a presentation for my department and some area departments. That's to small of a group and too much work. We had a firefighter knocked out a few years ago with a passengers side air bag. Some say it was due to static electricity. Now all I have to due is put together numbers and organize the material. James
Go to the state fire marshall's website, they have a pdf file that you can download that is the entire states listing.
Thanks for the info. This will be great help. Do you see a need for this type of info. James
James ,I feel their is a tremendous need for this info, I responded to your other post under groups, check there and i gave you some more ideas and info.
James, so far off the 12 departments that I've talked to(at least some of their members) I've had 12 say they would be interested in this type of book, so long as it isnt $250. I'll continue to ask around and tell you any more numbers I get. In a little while(the wether breaks) it'll be time to go out and help teach BVR classes and will talk to more people.
I'd like to see a book since a majority of the fire fighters I know have no clue how to handle a hybrid should it be involved in an accident. I own a hybrid and have read a majority of the manual and still I have questions on what to do if it is involved in an accident. So when you get the book published I'll take at least one.
thanks a lot James, but I feel a c.d. or being able to download that to a laptop would be better for use since we have them in all of our pumpers, that way it'd always be at your finger tips:)
check out crash recovery software offer by hurst . it gives in depth detail of vehicles, and is perfect for using on a laptop located in a first due apparatus . it's capabilities and attributes are very good.it's a little pricey but if you can afford it it can be an excellent tool. I also believe holmatro has a reference book with similiar info on it. additionally look for ERG's (emergency response guides) for different makes and models , these will give you all info needed for that vehicle. try contacting local dealerships, typically they will be helpful, my company actually took a class offered by toyota to clear up all the myths.
I have never thought about it with the new cars and alternative gas options.. I think it would be great to have a book about them out.. Ok guys toss it at me.. Some different fire fighting tactics for alternative cars... Good post.. Yea i would miss that job too......
Awesome idea! I can't believe no one's thought of this before. That would be a valuable tool in dealing with hybrid vehicle extrication. Good luck and please keep me posted.
GET it trademarked nd then get it to either a supplier like rescue tech or bullard or start his own but YES we need it but he doesn't want it stepped on by companies singling out their car only, or making it so costly some depts. cn not get it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service