We got a snow, followed by ice storm over the past few days, making driving very dangerous. I had to go to the grocery the other day because I needed food (its 4 block away, fire station is 2 blocks) and in the parking lot I saw a Vette, wow, I can barely keep the 4cyl. Grand Am on the road! then on the way home and later on the way to a call of a wreck that ended up being just a car off the road with no people around, I see people everywhere (mostly in these 4wd trucks) that are fishtailing everywhere on purpose, driving ridiculously fast considering the roads are covered in ICE, and slamming on their brakes and locking up the tires.

This was all on the roads too with traffic, not in parking lots, adn most definately not on accident, they were all laughing, and I flashed my brights at a few of them, and they flashed me back and just kept on doing it.

That kind of stupidity makes me so mad! I just had to vent to some people that see this from the side I do. That them being stupid not only could hurt them, it could hurt others, which makes all of us firefighters who are smart enough to not be driving, have to get out and drive to save them from their own stupidity!
There, I'm better now.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul,

They simply call this........ "Job Security"
Well, engineering is my job, I'm a Vol. fighter, but I do love it, and I guess as long as there are stupid people out there, we will have some work to do. (not saying every call is a result of stupid people, but they do their fare share of damage)
People will always make stupid decisions in their lives, resulting in MVA's, Structure fires, and other incidents that result in us responding. Job security is a term used for both paid folks and us volly's. If the world was rid of stupid people and stupid mistakes we would definately be looking for a new passion.
Fishtailing... I do it. Driving fast... that seems like it would be perception too me. It is snowing now and there are icy patches. I drive within 10 mph of the speed limit. Due concern for traffic etc. Slamming on my brakes... I do that... it checks the road for ice. In Montana there is latitude in driving... condition of vehicle, condition of road and condition of driver. I have been in one wreck... I was backed into. In the end it is the amount of attention paid to the task. I will drive sideways down an entire street if there is no traffic. I will go the speed limit if the roads are fairly plowed. Mt $ .02...

Mike
No matter how we preach there will always people driving like asses. As mike said he does it, but with in reason. I have been know to fool around on a vacant road every now and then. But the guys that do it in traffic are just stupid. They are the ones that end up injuring someone and not getting hurt themselves. These people help us keep our jobs.
I'm finding that the older I get, the more scared I am when the roads are slippery. I've been run into a couple of times over the years by people going too fast for conditions. How they found out their speed was too great, was that they lost control of their car.

You don't know where that point is until it's too late. So, until everyone realizes how fast is enough, we'll have customers like E-913 said.
Lets not forget the average homeowner who buys 4 wheel drive to go 65 mph and stop on a dime. Whats that? Oh thats right you can go but stopping still sucks, and if your going that fast and the wheels slip for a second, can you recover? Theres a time and a place for everything, but most motorists in winter are from speed, and lack of driving experience.
You meant to say 4 wheel SLIDE didn't you?
I think he meant to say "most accidents in the winter are from speed and a lack of driving experience"... Most grammar and spelling mistakes are from speed and lack of attention.
Your correct in the terminology it is supposed to say accidents. As I am human, I am succeptable to mistakes; even in spelling.
I think I need to clear my self up a little, I see no problem with jabbing the brakes when you first start driving to check to see how slick it is. The people that were making me mad were the ones that did not touch the brakes until the came to the first stop light at 30mph (speed limit). Also the speed limit in these conditions is way too fast, patches of ice would be different, but I'm talking about 1 inch of solid ice completely covering every square inch of road surface. You could not even make it up the hill on one of our main streets. Also if you will drive sideways down an entire street, you are one of the guys that I am talking about. I love to have a good time too, and sometimes yes, I enjoy a doughnut in a vacant parking lot, but not on a residential street where I could potentially endanger someone elses life. Lets say your going down my street sideways, as you said you do, and I back out of my driveway in front of you with out seeing you. There you have an accident that should never have happened. I assume you are young, and your opinion will change with time. I am 23 and have learned alot since I first started driving, back then I would drive just like you describe or worse (when it was dry and warm I was still going sideways). Then one day it hit me that I was dangerous, to my health, others health, my insurance rates, my driving record, and my wallet. And I have found ways to enjoy the same thrills within the limitations of the law.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service