Hi there. Our department has never really had a junior firefighting program, officially atleast. There are quite a few 16 (average age) year olds that are at our station more than most of the firefighters. I've put in a lot of hard work over the past year and a half in our department, and I even got an award for it at the last meeting. Now, our training officer and chief want to start an official junior program, but we don't have any guidelines or anything. We can't let juniors ride on trucks or anything on the way to calls, because of an accident involving a junior firefighter in a truck rollover a couple of years ago. It really cut down on alot of the junior programs in our state.
We really want to start an official program.. so what I'm wondering is, how do you do yours? Any and all information is appreciated!
Thanks!
Britt

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is a state-by-state description of state laws and other rules/regs that I can't find now. But here's a link to a site that should be able to provide some ideas:

http://nvfc.org/index.php?id=1028

Our department has a class of membership called Junior Firefighter, and a recently created class called Restricted Active Firefighter. RAFs are 16-17 years old and can go to scenes by POV (non-emergency) and help with some non-hazardous duties. Juniors are 14-16 years old and can come to drills and meetings but not emergency calls.

Check out that link, I think it will point you in the right direction.
Thanks. I'm going to forward the link to our officers.
Its a great site Joe, been preaching about it (for 2 weeks now) in the other Jr posts I have been on. It provides excellant opportunities for Junior Firefighters through incentive programs, and even specialized scholarship opportunities only available to Junior's/explorers.
Along with the other programs out there, you should really consider having an explorer post. Exploring is under the Learning for life division of the Boy Scouts. You can contact your local Boy Scout service center or go to www.scouting.org and look up your local council. Follow the links to your local council & there should be a listing for learning for life. If not just call the main number for the council. If you want a little more info on exploring, the site is www.learning-for-life.org and on the left in maroon you will see exploring. Just click there & it will take you to the main exploring page. We have had explorers in our company for 6 years now & it has been the best recruitment program we could have come up with. One of the big benefits is the insurance. Most companies here belong to JIF or the Joint Insurance Fund. The liability with them is only 3 million, while the Explorers are covered by 18million in insurance. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Frank
We have a cadet program for members 14-18, you have to apply, and be interviewed by the CA (cadet adviser) then they are given a uniform shirt and allowed to come sit at the station during normal shifts. We can attend all regular department trainings, any special details (fair coverage) and most events. I am the only one issued a pager, and due to a mix up was the only one with gear for a while due thanks in part to my history with the dept (my dad was a vol. Lt.). We can respond to runs following all traffic laws (but can get away with 5 over). We are allowed on the 1st out truck or squad. We can tap hydrants, change bottles and grab gear, and wet down nearby structures if there is an actual fire. On squad runs we can do blood pressures (its just hooking up the machine), the pulsox, set up the IV bag, and set up the monitor pretty much.

Thats pretty much it, I may have forgotten a thing or two but that is the basic wrap.
My Department is under the Boyscouts. Junior firefighters have to be 14-18 to join the Department. they must have atleast a C' average grade to be in the department. They get issue gear and work gloves and fire gloves and County t-shirt. No Pagers or Mintors what's so ever. They Have to Attend at least 2 trainings each month. will complete there duties at 10 pm and will put away there gear and leave for the night. There not allowed to stay the night at the Station. They can get out on Motor Vehicle accident, Structure fires, Brush fires. No Medical calls at all. 8 Dutys are required for the Junior firefighters. They are suppose to come to Business meetings every month.

Dexter

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service