As a curious Aussie, what on earth are "Fire Police"?

What do they do?

What powers to they have?

Our emergency services are so different over here!!!

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are trained fire fighters.

Depending on the number of people we have show up they usually are fire fighters first.

If we have enough man power they are then assigned to their traffic and crowd control duties.
Fire Police? Jokingly, we call them hydropigs... and they only exist in a few places that have combined fire and police. I've talked with guys who have done this job and they basically can switch back and forth between a police car and a fire engine. When they are cops, then they have all the powers associated with being a law enforcement officer. When they put on a fire hat then the job switches to fire / ems stuff. It's not a common thing over here in the states

Luke. I suppose you could consider California State Park Rangers who work as law enforcement, firefighters or ems providers as a good example for combined services. They typically only do the law enforcement end of things but can help with the others. On a personal note, I am not wild about guns nor getting shot at. I prefer calling for backup... calling for one of my buddies who does have gun to protect me and my crew from getting hurt by the bad guys... Do you have bad guys in Australia?

My best, Mike
In NY State, fire police are actually sworn as peace officers and have legal authority to close down roads at the direction of the fire chief. If you pass a fire police barrier you can be ticketed for failure to comply.

In this area the sheriff's department depends heavily on our fire police to control traffic at major incidents and events.
Bad guys? In Australia? No, no such thing!

If we get threatened on scene, if it looks like we're going to be threatened, if we see weapons, we call for police support. And leave until the police give us the all-clear. We play it safe.

And a Park Ranger with an assault rifle? I'll pass on that thanks...
now wait a minute, I've heard those roo's are really dangerous... you don't think an assault rifle is a bit too much?
Our police rely heavily on us to control traffic at incidents, because we can rarely get enough of them on scene! We have the legal right to stop any traffic, but we can't detour them - unless instructed to do so by police on scene. So until told otherwise by police (or they take over preferably!) all we do is stop all traffic. And that upsets a few people too...

Our 'Sheriff' is a Court Official, the same as the original British Sheriffs. Very different to what you have in the US. We also don't have municipal police. One Police Force in each State, and one Federal. Makes life a lot easier!
I like the concept of Fire Police though Tony.

The number of times I've waited at incidents for our Police to arrive and handle traffic and other stuff is amazing.

I'd also rather see the "normal" Police doing crime related stuff versus directing traffic for however long a scene may take to clear....
Yes, "Fire Police" actually have "Peace Officer" status here in New York State....and with that have certain authority in fire/EMS scenes...although it is NOT encourages they have the authority for warrentless arrest but cannot and donot perform duties armed.....the goal is to provide scene security and control.....sort of an auxillary service for law enforcement at the scene.......Stay safe and always keep the faith......Paul
In Delaware most Fire Police are former Firefighters. They have limited law enforcement ability, they used to be able to carry a gun, but can still arrest people.

The only power they have is the strange ability to clog up the radio by giving respondings but overall they do a great job.
Roos dangerous? No way - meek and mild! Just don't get between an old man and his harem...

As for assault rifles, only the Armed Forces and Police are allowed to have them! I've never bothered to ask if our rangers ever carry firearms - the ones right out in the bush might well do that.
True enough Luke, especially when we just don't have enough Police anyway! There could well be people out there who would see their way to doing that work when they couldn't be FF's or SES. Interesting thought.

No way would they be allowed to call themselves 'Fire Police' though!
were i'm at in western new york, a good majority of the fire police are either older members who can't perform their duties as an interior firefighter anymore or they are just members who just can't perform their duties as an interior firefighter at all. then there are those, like myself that are cross trained- 'cuz you'll never know when an extra hand in traffic control is needed...
Junior
Omnis Cedo Domus

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service