ok , this site is great I have found some awsome friends and hope to meet more, question is there a thing as brotherhood or sisterhood , and what does it really mean two u. I thot i new guess i was wrong what do u think?

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this question is different to everyone. to me it is like having a large family. when in your time of need one of your bros or sisters will be there to lend a hand. have you ever heard of anyone complain about getting up a 2am to help you put out a house fire. now call one of your buds at 2am and see what you get in the other end of the phone, that is what family does. it shows up when and where ever they are needed for any reason.
Good answer bro.
Simply put " Our family serving to protect your family"
The easiest way for me to explain how i feel is by a quote i heard about 3 years ago. I use this as a foot note on all my emails and most of my regular correspondence

"Firemen do not preach the brotherhood of man. They live it"
Yes it is my daughter had a flat just down from a fire station in Mo. a couple of years ago when she told them her dad was a chief in Ar. they changed the flat and made sure she was feed thank you who ever you were . By the time she told me about it she could not remember the name of the community .
I'd say around here it means family just like your own.............................. and that the way we do it here in the North:)
According to your profile, you've been on the job for 2 years. You mean to tell me that after 2 years in the Fire Service you don't know the answer to that question? Seriously?
We are indeed a family... One of the most closely knit bands of brothers and sisters ever known... As such, we sometimes fight like siblings... But, when the bells hit, tones go off, air horns sound, however we are summoned, career or volunteer we unhesitatingly, and with purpose, go to where we are needed.

We then truly become one.

It does not matter if you have 5 days, or 50 years on.... We watch out for each other... Salty old warriors or green probies.... "I've got your back" MEANS something. And I know you've got mine.

In small towns and big cities I have found that the common thread of family is a powerful thing. I have been welcomed with warmth and respect into stations wherever I have travelled. Firefighters are willing to give a brother or sister the shirt off their backs, the food off their table or their bunk if needed.

And when we get that "Ugly" call.... We listen to our brother or sister... Or they listen to us.... We take care of each other.... Period.

And when one of us dies... a piece of each of us dies. We go by the thousands to show our support for the lost, their relatives and families, and their fire service family. I had the honor of attending, with a couple of my company officers and firefighters, the FDNY Memorial Day march and ceremony in October 2002. I probably saw some of you there. It was absolutely breathtaking to be with tens of thousands of our family..... Not ONCE, even though the event was sponsored by IAFF, was I asked if I was career or volunteer. It didn't matter. It DOESN'T matter. We all marched in the driving rain that day as ONE family, with the sole purpose of honoring our brothers in New York City, some of whom were still entombed in the hell hole at Ground Zero and their families.

The brotherhood is alive and well folks.... You can feel it here, and you can feel it wherever you go. The Brotherhood is not what we do, although that is part of it... It is who we ARE.

Usually when I leave a welcome to someone new here I say "Welcome to The House" Brothers and Sisters, you're welcome at "Our House" anytime.

J.A. Lorenzetti
AKA "144Truck"
A proud member of this Brotherhood since 1971.
I have recently found out that there is a Brotherhood/Sisterhood. I work full time as a Trauma Nurse and Volunteer Fire fight (which I LOVE). Well recently we had a Firefighter hurt in training from a station that I had never worked with and he came to my unit. I have never had a feeling like I did knowing he was "one of mine"..not knowing him at all you wouldn't think that it was a big deal but I couldn't leave his room and my stomach was in such a knot that I couldn't eat my entire shift. My co-workers did not understand my feelings at all and picked about me crying over somebody I had never laid eyes on before.
All in all...he spent about 2 weeks in the Intensive Care Unit and is now in rehab doing very well. I have become great friends with his parents and brother and have met a lot of great Firefighters. I visit him everyday and hope to keep in touch. I feel like this post doesn't make sense but it is really hard to try to explain the feeling that our brotherhood/sisterhood can give you.
Long story short YES there is a brotherhood!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service