one of my departments are getting ready to order new gear for all of us and i was wanting others opinions on these two...

MSA vs Scott airpacks

and

Morning Pride vs Globe gear

any experiences with the equipment or manufactures would be helpful.

thanks!

stay low. stay safe.

Views: 5942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fire,
My Dept. has used MSA for as long as I have been here.Almost 29 years. No major problems,no complaints. As far as Globe vs Morning Pride I cant comment.We are in the process of replacing turnout gear ourselves. I did use a Morning Pride helmet briefly and will say that getting replacement parts such as face shilds was next to impossible.
TB
I have been the Fire sevice for 24 yrs and allways used Scott .

I can't say its better than any other . It seams to be the Standard for the North East and larger paid Depts. I have allways found it be true and hard working.

As far as PPE I've worn many and with out a doubt Morning Pride has been the Best !!!
i go with scott packs

with the gear morning pride is not very good with customer satifaction and shipping id go with globe
In my nearly 20 years in the fire service I have only used Scott airpacks (starting with the old heavy 2.2 and next week will be switching from the Scott Pak 50 to the new Scott Pak 75.) Now, with that said I did use MSA for 4 years in a GM Assembly plant. I love my Scott airpacks. They are very user friendly.
Likewise with the airpacks, the only gear that I have used in my fire service career has been Morning Pride gear. I've even had the opportunity to work in the engine house with the owner of MP. That's right, most of MP sales reps as well as the owner of the company are or at one time was a firefighter and have first hand knowledge of what we want when it comes to gear. (Just my opinion) Like with just about everything, you get what you pay for. Check the Fireman's Fund website (google it) I think MP is assisting small depts acquire gear. Hope this helps.
I don't know what your experience is with morning pride, but I have had a rep hand deliver a replacement D ring for my coat all the way to hawaii! You are the first person I have ever heard express anything but total satisfaction with Morning Pride!
about the scott bottles not fitting around my department just got the new scott packs w/out quick couplers so that not really an issue you can get them either way
the new globe gear doesnt havethe bib style pants anymore
Yes, but they had to return to a longer coat to close the backside gap. They have to in order to keep a protection layer between the seat of the pants and the hem of the shorter Globe coat. This longer coat adds weight, increasing the amount of work the body has to perform. Morning pride went the other way with their design, by creating a short coat with tails that provide the protective layer at the critical spot where gaps form when we crawl on hands and knees. The pants are conventional which means that when you take off your coat more of your body is able to cool off.

I have worn Globe gear, Janesville and Morning Pride, and of the three, The morning Pride was the lightest, most ergonomic, best designed gear I have ever worn.
One other consideration your department might want to think about is what types of BA the departments around you are using, especially if you will be running mutual aid together. This means you can change out bottles without worrying about what type of BA it is.
I like the Scot air packs the one dept I was at in Iowa they had MSA and I liked the fact that you could put the regulator on the face piece when you were getting ready to go in and then just push it into place, it saved some time when getting masked up compared to the Scott, But also on that note I have more expirence with the Scott.
The choice between MSA and Scott is truly a personal choice for the end users. They both are great packs and use the latest high tech stuff.

If we are looking at the latest models then there is a few basic differences in the Spec 2007 compliant airpacks from both manufacturers.

They are both have HUD-headsup display, they both are NFPA compliant with the universal connections for a low air emergency.

Here is the big differnces:

MSA has the patent for TRANSFILL, meaning every air pack is pretty much a RIT pack. It offers the availability to transfill, connect a short hose (which is in a little pouch) and equalize any two air cylinders on the high pressure size of the airpack. The Scott cannot transfill, Scott universal coupling valves can only recieve. This means when the short hose built onto the airpack is removed from the pouch, it is a lifeline or buddy breather hose. The cylinders do not equalize. Therefore you must stay attached or linked to the good pack as you both are breathing from that one cylinder. Now the Scott RIT pack does have a valve that gives air, but only to another pack and this valve can only be used for the RIT Pack.

So with Scott you must stay tethered, with MSA you can equalize and seperate....

MSA also offers a built-in self rescue rope bailout system in the waist belt but Scott doesn't.

The MSA PASS is built-into the PASS for motion detection. The Scott is in the backplate.

The two packs are close in weight, the Scott in my opinion is more comfortable, the MSA has a flat backplate and the Scott backplate is contoured... but that is preference.

So you see you can't just go by the name, many safety features seem the same but they are not exactly alike.

FETC
Morning Pride is no doubt the best turnouts you can buy on the market. Ive worn Morning Prides, Janesville and Globe. I own 2 personal sets of MP's, im issued Janesville. IMHO Janesville and Globe have got a lot of work to equal to a good set of Morning Prides. Ive hung up my issued turnouts and use my personal set of MP's. No doubt nothing ive worn has equaled to the comfort, flexibility and softness of the MP's.

Morning Pride makes a crappy traditional helmet though.

Ive worn the Scott NXG2 with my last dept, I liked the packs, but wasnt pleased with the battery life on them.

At my current dept we wear ISI Vikings and its JUNK to the furthest extreme. Worst pack/face piece ive ever worn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service