one of my departments are getting ready to order new gear for all of us and i was wanting others opinions on these two...

MSA vs Scott airpacks

and

Morning Pride vs Globe gear

any experiences with the equipment or manufactures would be helpful.

thanks!

stay low. stay safe.

Views: 5940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my opinion there is no other pack besides a Scott. I thought otherwise until I packed up... as far as gear the G-Xtreme is great gear light weight.
i agree the scott packs are awesome... my dept switched to msa's and they suck...they may be lighter than our old scotts but as far as ease to use and dependability the scotts will win everytime i also use the G-Xtreme gear...best i ever had will not go to anything else
MY DEPARTMENT JUST PURCHASED 18 MSA AIR-PACKS (2) YEARS AGO AND WE ARE VERY PLEASED WITH THE MSA's AIR-PACKS PERFORMANCE... THE ARE EASY TO OPERATE AND MAINTAIN... WE WENT FROM SURVIVAIR & CAIRNS BREATHING APPARATUS AND SWITCHED TO MSA.... MY DEPARTMENT ALSO HAS BEEN USING MORNING PRIDE BUNKER GEAR NOW FOR ABOUT 18 YEARS AND HAVE HAD VERY GOOD SERVICE OUT OF THE GEAR... ANY PROBLEMS WE HAVE HAD (MINOR) MORNING PRIDE HAS TAKEN CARE OF IT...

STAY-SAFE,

GARY
Both are good packs, I've used both and the Scott's do seem to be a little more dependable. You may want to look at the ISI Vikings as well, they are good packs with some cool features. As far as turnouts I have never heard anything bad about Globe. THEIR LEATHER BOOTS ARE AWESOME!!!! They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They feel like running shoes.
As far as SCBA's go MSA is the only way to go. I ave used scotts as well as supriseair, drager, and isi. The MSA was always more comfortable and more reliable. Globe and Morning Pride both make gear that holds up well under extensive use, however the G-Xtream is lighter and the turn around on orders is usally faster and sizes run true. Morning Pride is a good co. but their tim from order to shipment is very slow.
We had the isi vikings at our dept and had som critical failures with te fresh air ports.
I have a set of Morning Pride that's almost 7 years old. If I recall it is made of basofill which has been known to become brittle after some time. The inner pant liner is deteriorating at the crotch and the shell seams are starting to come apart.

Other than that, I have no complaints. I've been measured for new gear so we'll see in a couple of months how the new stuff compares to the MP.
My department uses Survivair and Globe Xtreme.
Scott for air packs, and Either Morning pride or globe, they both make a great turnout gear product. The Morning Pride Helmets look awesome, and are lightweight while still giving you the element of meeting the national standard.

I have tried the MSA's, I am not too comfortable with them. The clip on mask that stays open and you push it down to lock it in is a great feature. (if you forget to clip it down the slide it will blow off your face) My issue I had with the MSA is it is easy to get 4 steps inside a building and not realize you are breathing air from your bottle. The mask configuration with the air clipped to the face of the mask is a little misleading. I prefer the purge valve up and a 1/2 turn left to lock it in place as you walk in that scott provides. The New scotts even have the lights that show your air level (in colors) of your bottle.
MSA makes a wonderful SCBA. The one thing most talked about is the cross contamination. The MSA has a exhalation valve located on the bottom of the face piece that allows the discharge of fluid and air. In the Scott it is in the regulator. Therefore there is no cross contamination protection with the scott pack. Also the scott has about 100 parts to the first stage reg and the second has about as many. The down time for the rebuild of the regulators are timely. The MSA has 10 parts to the 2nd stage and 17 parts to the first stage. Most of the time 1 part needs replacing if you have a posi check failure. There are more with the new scott pack if you have old bottles and you need to swap the new scott bottle may not work. there is a quick coupler to the new bottles for fast change out and the old bottles may have to be either replaced or the valves will have to be changed and if you are still using the older scott pack no swap out with the new and old.

The Globe turnouts are built to last. You need to look at the turnout to see the differences. The differences are there stitching in the globe gear are all double stitched and if they run out of thread in the middle of the sew they pull the thread completely out and start again, so there is no break in the stitching. All the trim is done the same way. If you look at the collar on the globe it has the shape of your neck and not a chimney like others. The sleeves are contoured to fit the relaxed arm, because no one has a straight arm. that is done also for the ease of movement. the back of the coat has a fold that is functional when you have an SCBA on, you will be able to move and not have the coat ride up or bunch. most others manufactures add that to the coat but they sew in together and the function will not work as designed.

I hope this helps. Good luck
My company has been Scott since we started using air paks. We just purchased Scoot NXG's in "03 through a FEMA grant with all the bells & whisels mandated and "HATE THEM" They are heavier and are always running into problems with the batteries dying & needed upgrades from the factory. There is also a problem with the quick connects freezing in low temperatures. We wish we looked at MSA's a little closer.

As for gear we are in the same situation. We are getting ready to purchase gear through another FEMA grant and that is the same issue Glode vs Morning Pride vs Janesville, etc..... I have worn globe & MP and the globe fits better & lasted longer as far as durability. They are all made to the same NFPA standards just with the manufacturers own added features.

Good Luck with your search, Just do your homework!
Well here's my background...8 years of vollunteer firefighting....2 different departments both running scott.
first company had the old wire frame 2.2 no pass alarm real old stuff. never any problems.
second company switched from MSA belt mount to new scotts 2002 complient stand alone pass 2216 psi major electrical problems with the HUD. several packs were gone months at a time. comeing back still broken. the buddy breathing system is the worst design in the world because of the fact you have to disconect the interediate hose between the 1st n 2nd stage regulator taking you off air until you manage to hook up to your buddys breather line. not an easy task.

I was a MSA tech for over a year...there are much less parts in the newer firehawk series packs =ing less to break. most repairs were done at the FD station and did not have to come home with me. they also have the ability to fill from pack to pack allowing you to give as much air to your buddy as you like without either one of u dissassembling your scba. plus the RIT connection is different. MSA designed it. They are required by law to give up part ot the design to other manufatures. msa can fill and recieve from the RIT connection. all other packs can only recieve. its a lot safer in an IDLH situation IMHO.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service