a very frustrating thing about being a female firefighter in my experience is masking up/ wearing a helmet with longish hair. i have not found a way to wear it comfortably and out of the way. high bun in the helmet makes the helmet fit wierd, low bun below helmet limits movement of my head. any advice from the girls out there??!!!

Views: 11008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem with the low ponytail is is getting stuck in your hood or in the back of your turnout jacket and restricting your movement. Or you bend your neck down, and then when you return to inline position, you have that weird loop of hair sticking out where it got pulled out of the hood/jacket. I used to have really short hair, but now I'm going long. Don't plan on going back. So I'm experimenting to find a comfy way to wear it. I'll update if I find anything.
We have rules on how we can wear our hair (how much can touch our collar etc). I go with a low bun and extra ties on my wrist in case. Or I wear a low ponytail with the ends brought up flat to the back of my head with a long flat barrette. Thats how I wore it in the academy. Worked out well.
for our dress uniforms our regulation is that you basically have to look like a male. all hair has to be shoved up under your cap. no makeup. so were pretty limited.
If I'm training and have the time to prepare I agree with the french braid. If I'm responding I through it into a low ponytail with a small band.
i recently just cut all my hair off so i dont have this problem anymore. but when i did, my hair was super long down to my arse.
i just put it in a super low pony tail whenever i hit a stop sign.
i saw another girl in my dept doing something not so fashionable, but pretty effective at getting the hair away.
low pony tail with ties going down it about an inch apart. seemed effective and quick to do on the truck.
and yes, this hairspray idea is not so great.
I've recently cut my hair, BUT I used to have long hair. And for any girl that actually does stuff and packs out. And you're riding the fire truck. A quick, not very pretty, french braid or a braid in general does the trick. It keeps my hair out of my eyes and my helmet fits perfectly. Hope this helps.
my hairs pretty much all the same length so i just wear what my oldest calls a low pony tail...ive been wearing that way since 1995 without a problem
Lol
I use the gripping ponytail holders & keep my ponytail midway, I just keep losing my no slip hair bands. I have fine hair and most anti slip hair bands slip off. Wondering if a leather strap w ties would work better

I am just a Recruit right now, in Academy for 3 more months, been in one so far, I do my hair in twin braids like pigtails .... gets super messy but gets the job done. I have also done a single french braid, or double french braids (which is tougher cause someone has to do it that way) Maybe I should have my husband learn how to braid my hair! HAHA!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service