Belonging to a rual vol. dept. we are challenged as many depts. are in finding new recruits. It also seems as if there are fewer people that are interested in becomming volunters. We have more than adequate equipment and we treat our personell well. Does anyone have ideas that work to bring people to the dept. to be possible volunters.

Views: 170

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

What my department did was they started an inscentive Program for volunteers. After a member goes through their 6 month probationary period they become a full member. The inscentive is a predetermined number (per quarter for us) of Money. If any member attends (and participates in) 50% of training, and makes 20% of the total calls, they qualify for inscentive pay. (total members qualifying's total calls divided by the pre determined amount of money for the quarter gives you amount per call then multiplied by the number of each member who qualified) It really has seemed to help immensely, we have remarkable attendance at trainings, great participation, and a great group of very active members.
We also have been blessed by a very great chief who has made it a point to reward those members who have helped him succeed in keeping our fire department among the best in the business. He (through money received for a call we worked on the highway) purchased Brand new recliners (6) for the rec room, a 42" plasma flatscreen HD tv, and Bose Surround sound system for our enjoyment. Give's him a double edged sword of sorts, he purchases for a reward for the members, and everytime someone sits in the chairs (OMG it's hell not to fall asleep in them) they are a crew member who can leave the firehouse in a piece of apparatus in a matter of moments. We have a crew that will watch movies together, watch the NFL, MLB etc, so a crew is generally readily available. We also have a fully stocked work out room. We have the ability at any waking hour to go and work out.
They have recruiting and retention grants to make this possible also. :)
Engineco913,
Thanks for the info. It sounds as if you are set up well by your Chief. It sounds like we may need to offer a little more. Again thankyou for your response
I second that---Tiger is rapidly becoming one of the go-to resources for doable and realistic recruitment and retention efforts. We're working on possibly getting him to present his program at our annual legislative weekend---and you can get his ideas here for FREE!
We have the same problem as you far as getting new recruits to join. We are also a small department with very little money to spend. We ahve decent gear to use but are having trouble getting people to join. We have tried word of mouth and had people interested but no one ever joins.
If I can go off subject for just a second: Im just getting started with a small volly department whose protection district butts right up again a rather large, technologically advanced department who likes to let us know they are they every time we turn around. They even harass us by radio. As a rookie, what can I do to help my department come out of the relative stone ages (without being insulting because I have the utmost respect for the organization and the ffs). We answer about 85% medical and MVC calls. What would be some things that as I have been around a little long, I could start suggesting we do, equipment we could acquire, modernizations we could make, etc that would help us serve our community. We have only one very small station house which was built in the 1950s in the fire house sheik style. I dont want to alienate anyone, but would love to hear any suggestions you all have...for instance I am trying to talk the Chief in to letting us develop a web site.
Hi Greg -

At the risk of urinating you off (My Mom never liked it when I said 'pissed off'), allow me to play the Devil's Advocate:

What has your fire department done to help itself? What efforts are underway to attract new recruits? What has worked and what hasn't?

My experience has shown that the difference between those who are successful at Recruitment and Retention - and those who aren't, is the amount of effort made. Although not always the case, typically those who make the effort reap the rewards.

It's not easy. No one can just wave a magic wand and 'POOF' - your recruitment dreams are answered. It takes hard work, a dedicated team, a serious commitment and never-ending efforts. That's all.

Let us know where you're at with your efforts and maybe we can offer some suggestions, some solutions. Let me know how I can help.

And as for the comments from the previous two ladies, I didn't pay them to say that. I couldn't afford them. ;]

But, do take their advice and check out the free ideas I give away at my blog site: www.firefighternation.com/profile/tiger5.

Stay safe. Train often.
I have neither cause nor reason to provide any ego-stroking to Mr. Schmittendork....in fact, really? It should be the other way around and yet I still have not witnessed any pandering to my already over-inflated ego....so pucker up buttercup--I'd like to see some serious sucking up.

Ok, seriously...you can take his advice and start a sea change, or you can continue on as you were, ineffectively flailing at trying to recruit new members. Check out this story in Broome County---they had a COUNTY-WIDE open house specifically for recruitment---how many hundreds signed up???
Four. Not four HUNDRED......just four souls signed up to volunteer.
Here's the link to the story...read it and weep....or.......ask Tiger for help.
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080120/NE...
Well, you have to buy a full set of Goodyear Tires first, THEN you get a free Tiger.
advertise on your local radio station about having an open house,let them come in, try gear on, quick spin in a truck, show them pics of training fires etc.
And you're going to keep paying.

Get used to it.

What do you expect for government cheese...
Our fire company has had recruitment problems in the past. We started a carreer day type of program at our local middle and high schools, where we allow students to view some videos of us training, and try on gear. All while talking to them one-on-one, this has given our PR a hugh boost and our junior program has flurished. As far as retention, we do lose a few to the military and college, but to the most part the ones that take a job locally have stayed on as active members.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service