It is with great sadness that I write this note.
Assistant Fire Chief Max Deal passed away this afternoon at approximately 5:00 PM January 20, 2008. Max started with the Mt. Mitchell VFD in 1967 when the department originated that year. Max started out as a firefighter and worked his way up through the ranks from firefighter to Chief. Max stepped down as chief due to some health problems needing a kidney transplant in 2000, and was placed in the Assistant Chief position. Max remained in and currently held that position.
Max was the last original member of the department still actively serving. He was the chief that everyone went to. He always something to tell people and kept the department carrying on even, in bleak periods when everyone's morale was down.
Max was diagnosed with cancer shortly after Christmas and the doctors gave him about a year with chemo. He never got to start the treatments. respiratory and blood pressure problems kept him in the hospital until this afternoon.
He was to receive a plaque for his 40th year with the department Saturday Night at the departments annual after Christmas Party. However the party was cancelled due to inclement weather and sadly he never got to see the plaque. Max was FF I&II and EVD certified. He was the third chief of the department. Serving as chief from 1988 - 2000. He will be greatly missed by the firefighters and members of the community.
Max is survived by a son, Donald and daughter, Kelly.
Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.
Mt. Mitchell VFD is located in Kannapolis, NC. Cabarrus County.
Rest In Peace Chief Max Deal, A great friend and officer.

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

my thoughts and prayers go out to the family and his depatment

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service