I just recently retired as a Lieutenant from the fire service after 28 awesome years. Through that time in the fire house I was able to hone my cooking skills against some of the biggest skeptics in the world, Firefighters! Nothing in the fire house is sacred, kind of like a big family, they tell you what they really feel and think of your cooking.

Those years with my fire department family helped me grow into the cook that I am today. I am self taught, and continue to learn every day.

About eight years ago, at the age of 40, I realized that I had another 10 years left in the fire service and needed to stay in shape as I got older. My cooking style changed at that time to be what it is today, "Healthy Weight Loss" cooking.

We have an epidemic on our hands with obesity, and it can be resolved by making good food choices,

"One Meal At A Time". I do have a passion to teach folks that their weight loss problems can be resolved while still enjoying some great, tasty, appealing food.
Anyone have some healthy fire house meals you would like to share with us all?

Views: 4145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a Taco Chicken meal which always is a RAVE at the firehouse. Heres a quick recipe scaled down, multiply to suit your quantity needed.

Taco Chicken

1. 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
2. 2 packets of Taco seasonings
3. Garlic powder
4. salt and pepper
5. olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take the 6 chicken breasts and lightly rub with a little olive oil. (prevents sticking and helps the spices stick) Use 1 packet of taco seasonings to coat the top of the breasts evenly. Spice with garlic powder and salt and pepper. (to your taste) Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes. Anything longer will produce a dry piece of chicken. When the chicken is almost done cooking, take the remaining taco seasoning packet and thoroughly mix with 2 cups of hot water. Serve the chicken hot from the oven with the taco sauce (you made) used as a "gravy." This meal goes great with either white or brown rice and freshly steamed green beans or carrots.
(serves 6)
takes little time and effort to create
Another spin on Taco chicken is my taco chicken fajita's.

6 fajita torts
2 chicken breasts (boneless/skinless)
2 taco seasonings packets
1 boil in bag white rice
onions
lettuce
tomatos
cheddar cheese
sour cream/salsa/guacamole (yuck)

Take the chicken and cook thoroughly. (using a george foreman grill you can cook it rapidly) Take the cooked chicken and cut into thin strips about 1" long. Following the directions for beef on the taco seasonings packet, simmer the taco seasonings and water into the chicken strips you have created. Cook the boil in bag rice completely and drain. Mix one of the taco seasonings packets into the rice.
Shred the lettuce into thin strips, dice the onions and tomatos.

Take a flour tort and place a tablespoon of "taco rice" on the bottom of the tort. Place about a tablespoon of taco chicken onto the tort. Add your other veggies and top with cheddar. Add your salsa/sour cream/guacamole (still yuck) to taste. Roll the tort and prepare for a great and filling meal.
(serves 3)
takes little time and effort to create
Hey Brother,
Great recipe. I actually do a version of this also. I use the low-sodium taco seasoning. Chop up the chicken and serve it on corn tortillas, cabbaage, mango salsa, and off course HOT SAUCE!!!
Congratulations Brother on Your retirement I am so glad to see more firefighters get into a healthy way of living. Hughie The 57 House GO STEELERS!!!!!! Why don't you put a cookbook together and sell it to the firefighters I am sure it would be a great seller. Your Life is Priceless. Stay Safe Juan.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service