A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is "blogging" and someone who keeps a blog is a "blogger." Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog. ...
So I put it to you, the members, are we seeing blogs written by bloggers or are we seeing messages left on a message board by messengers?
When a "blog" is written without sentence or paragraph breaks, no use of upper or lower case letters, misspellings and text code, is it a blog, an elaborate text message or someone who ditched English class?
Make an effort, people.
If what I am reading is the wave of the future, then our civilization and the English language as we know it is in deep trouble.
I am all for sharing your thoughts, but frame it so that it can be understood with minimal interpretation skills.
I have written about 65 blogs since joining the website. Many here have posted ONE blog/message-never to be heard from again. Blogger, my a**.
No; it doesn't have to be Shakespearian. Some of you know who William Shakespeare was, right?
But please, it's "I"; not "i", "you" and not "u"; "are"; not "r". And if it's not too much trouble, a period, comma or semi-colon would add texture to your "blog".
F.O.G.I.E. and proud of it.
TCSS.
Art

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What are the periods commas and semi-colans you speak of?
They interact with the conjunctions, synonyms, adjectives and pronouns.
You're a real Jerry Seinfeld. You know; the COMEDIAN!
Circus episode. The one where it is revealed that Kramer is afraid of circus clowns.
Funny episode.
Notice that I used commas, a semi-colon and periods.
Whoa; I used an exclamation point.
Feeling cocky, I am.
TCSS.
Art
I was just messing with you. My wife is a third grade teacher I get to hear all about proper writing skills every time she looks on this site.
And your replies show it.
I knew you were being playful.
I appreciate a wry sense of humor.
I get giddy when witnessing grand usage of sarcasm.
So, what you're saying is that it's tough being married to a teacher?
Hmmmm.
TCSS.
Art
No comment.
Art is the "Yoda" of punctuation. Look, I used quotes.
Amber:
You have learned well.
You are wise beyond your youthful years.
Punctuation is your friend.
Run-on sentences are illegal in some states.
Vermont comes to mind.
TCSS.
Art
Hay Art,
I have seen this subject come up time and time again and yes I am glad to see it come up again. I may not have the best use of punctuation or grammar but I try, which is more than I can say for a lot of what I see on here. I also see a lot of excuses as to why. No there is not spell check on here. So if your spelling sucks as mine does, type it in word first and use spell check. Then all you have to do is copy and paste. Then you get the ones that hit you with “who cares its not like I’m writing a report here.” While this may be true there are plenty of posts that I do NOT read simply because trying to read them makes my head hurt. If I am trying to read something I shouldn’t need a dictionary and super secret code sheet to understand it.
I’m sure what is being said here will once again fall on deaf ears but if it is brought up enough times maybe some of them will get a clue. Notice I said some and not all.
TCSS
LT
LT:
The blogs that I get a good snicker from are the ones that proclaim, "sorry I've been away for awhile" or "I will post my progress every day" or my personal favorite "what's a firefighter" and "this is my first blog". No; it is not a blog and it will be your last one, because you got bored one night and decided to surf and found us and firefighters are compassionate and I just got dumped by my boyfriend/girlfriend and life sucks, so let's go pour our hearts out to complete strangers on a website designed for fire/ems stuff. Hey; I know a firefighter. He has a HUGE...
lightbar on top of his pick up truck. And besides; it says it's a 'social network' and I'm trying to be social by discussing my failed relationship. I wish I could get and hold onto a man. Maybe by the time I turn 16, I'll be able to do that.

HOW they are written is my next biggest pet peeve.
I mean; the goals of many of us here is to be a part of this website start up and to contribute to its quality and to watch it grow and to watch it transform into one of the best fire service websites out there. But we all know that it takes money to grow a site and to invest into newer technology to bring us more "toys", if you will. So, you go after the ad dollars.
Imagine trying to sell ad space to an apparatus manufacturer if they have been here and read some of what we all do daily. They might think that it's an isolated case. But then, they read further. And then, they see their first profile picture with the prominent tah-tahs and suggestive poses. And that's just the guys my age.
No; there will need to be some thinning, a raising of the bar, a branding of the product and a more quality end result if this website is to attract capital for more programs.
Which is why, it's Web Chief strategy that we live and die by. But he has the most to lose. You can rail on him about censorship and controling ways, but think about it; what do you suppose his investment dollars are right now and wouldn't you do everything to protect THAT, if it was your's? I disagree with him sometimes, but I just dust myself off and try a different direction. If it's worth having, it's worth fighting for.
I will not call anyone "stupid", but clearly there are some basic language and grammar skills that needs to be addressed.
If you are truly a "brother or sister" in this great fire service of our's, then make a better effort to communicate in a language that we can all understand.
Type Os are understandable, but complete absence of spell check, punctuation, Upper/lower case usage isn't.
If you want to be taken seriously, then speak and spell like you mean it.
Call me what you want; criticize me to your little hearts' content, but the fact is, you have no problems understanding what I say, do you?
TCSS.
Art
Art,

I think you just threw the "retaliation flag" on yourself with that reply.

Imagine, someone trying to uplift some firefighter standards for posting on a public forum with the name "firefighter" attached...good for you!

Too bad more of this line of thought doesn't survive first contact.

Ben
The approach to what's proper in emails and blogs seems to be a generational thing. Baby-boomers see emails and blogs as written forms of communication; thus deserving of correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Younger groups see them as verbal forms (albeit with a keyboard), where speech is much less formal.

Which way is proper? Both...sort of. Use a conversational tone, but with proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Art, for your benefit I used a conversational tone with the following elements for texture: commas, colons, semi-colons, periods, question marks, parentheses, ellipses, hyphens, and apostrophes.
Art, I think he is throwing down the gauntlet to you. He used a lot more examples of punctuation than you did. Doesn't he know you're Yoda?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service