ok so we were doing training the other day and we all tried on scba masks. One guy had a complete panic attack and freaked out with the thing on, it was bad enough he had to be taken home early. I was fine though. I was just wondering if you can still be a firefighter even with claustrophobia? This guys feels terrible because his dream is to become a ff and now he's afraid he can't. Any advice? Do you know anyone with the same issue who made it onto the department?
Jessica

Views: 1101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Years ago a career Lieutenant from the RFD taught an SCBA class. He told the story of one of his men who didn't mask up at a fire, claiming that the pack in his riding position didn't work. The SCBA was examined and found to be in working order. The Lt. realized that the FF was actually uncomfortable wearing SCBA.

The cure: The FF was ordered to don a spare scba, mask and all, and wear it in station. Doing chores, hanging out, whatever - the FF wore the pack on air. It got him over his discomfort.

I remember the first time I tried on SCBA... I had the same reaction. I could not get it off fast enough. I soon got over it, though, and as they say - practice makes perfect.
If the firefighter can't use some of the methods listed above to overcome his problem, then he can't do interior firefighting, period. If your department has non-interior positions like driver only, then he might be able to do one of these jobs.

Otherwise, he may need to look for a career in wildland firefighting or a non-firefighting career like EMS or law enforcement, or even dispatching.

In my department, if you can't function in a SCBA, you can't be a firefighter. We've worked with some new firefighters who had some initial claustrophobia and gotten them over it. We've also had two new firefighters leave us for other employment because they couldn't overcome their fears, no matter how much we tried to help them.

As Mick Schlags said, "This job isn't for everyone."
Alex? That is a stupid thing to say.
There you are Jess, some good advice for this person. Ignore the first comment, even as a joke it shouldn't be in the thread.

Lutan gave a complete step by step method to try and overcome the fear. I'd follow it.

Did I have trouble when I first trained with BA? No, I wasn't too comfortable, but I could manage it. My intructor wanted to conserve air during one session and removed my demand valve, leaving my mask in place with a big hole in it. I freaked and ripped the mask off. Irrational? Yes. But I "felt" that no air was coming through the hole. Back went the demand valve, back went the mask and on went my training. I have no problems whatsoever with wearing BA. I'd probably be OK wearing just a mask now with no demand valve, but why would I want to

Chat with the guy, tell him what's been said here, and let him make his mind up about whether he'd like to try. Let him take it up with the instructor? The instructor may even be thinking of steps that can be taken to help the student anyway.
In my area, part of the testing process involves putting on a "blacked out" mask and following a hoseline around around a simple course. I've never seen anyone fail it. But the bottom line is that if you can't wear an SCBA mask, you cannot be a firefighter. Around here, everyone is an interior firefighter.
lutan1 has the best method listed hear. If this doen't work. you have a problem. If it does your next step is going to be getting him thru the actual interior work under fire. Night time will be extermley difficult. If you can try to do in a controlled training to see how he will react. If he fails this. Then yes there is other things he can do on the fire ground. But not as a carded firefighter. You don't have to be certified to be a support member on the fire ground as a volunteer.
Good thing he just found out his weakness early. I think being a junior explorer firefighter has a longer time frame for practice and conditioning. If he reaches the near qualification age as full pledge FF training and the phobia issue is still there. That's it... scratch the SCBA thing and must think other job options.
Thnaks everyone for the positive feedback on my repsonse- appreciate it!

It was a long process, but well worth it. This person is very aware of their limitations which is also a great help.

WOuld I be wary using them in some situations? YES. But it is manageable...
Yes your method seemed to be the best.

I first Tried on a SCBA mask when I was a JR. It wasnt bad for me because as I was younger id love to wear masks such as halloween, ect. Maybe try that? Im not sure just throwing it out there.

It didnt bother me but there are times when im working real hard say on a roof or dragging a person and just wish i could rip the mask off. Because im a big ol boy and i want my air and i want it now damn it!

-Conant
If you are a volunteer fire department and manpower is an issue, then platooning or specializing your folks will cause problems if you run short on a call.
Your initial response to a house fire w/people inside is with FOUR personnel. The guy driving the truck doesn't know how to get set up for pumping operations. The captain is still recovering from neck surgery, so he's limited to outside duty. The third guy can't go inside because the fourth guy can't wear an SCBA. Mutual aid is still 10 minutes away.
Yeah; there's other things that we can do, like defend ourselves against accusations that we didn't do enough.
I wanted to be a lawyer growing up. In order to do that, I had to pass certain "tests". I couldn't. That's why I am doing something else.
I want everyone to realize their dreams and if that is to be a firefighter, then I hope that nothing stands in their way. However; if you can't train at a level that will instill confidence in yourself and others, then you compromise the fiber and the foundation of trust with each other.
Like anything else, if you can't overcome the obstacles, then there a big world out there full of all kinds of opportunities.
TCSS.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service