What training, other that the required hours of drivers training, do you think a volunteer should have before being allowed to drive the big fire trucks?

Views: 918

Replies to This Discussion

Andrea, This a copy of my response to same question recently. "Dawson Springs"? That is my last name on my helmet but I assure there is no connection. Im first generation here from Canada.
There has to be cleary published policy that everyone understands.

Patrick, I'm not creating anything here. Just explaining how it is here at home.

1) Members know coming in, THERE IS NO DRIVER TRAINING IN THE 1ST YEAR. PERIOD. (Cool yer jets)
2) Completion of the NYS EVOC course is a prerequisite for Driver Training
3) You can get on the Drivers List for the pick-ups (a misc. unit and a back up Medic Response unit) by practicing with and impressing the OIC of DT enough for him to recommend you to the Chief.
4) To get on the Ambulance Drivers List requires more as above with specific practice and awareness of equipment function and its placement on board. Driver need not be a medic.
5) To get on the Heavy Rescue Drivers List: As above. W/ special att. to air cascade system, hurst tools, lighting tower, haz mat equip, gas sensors, etc.
6) To get on the Drivers Lists for Engines : As above after completion of NYS Pump Operators Course.
7) For the Ladder Truck Drivers List: As above after completion of NYS Pump Ops and Ladder Ops.

They are generally done in that order. Our drivers got qualified for Engine Lists by being pump operators, so nobody else should be pumping engines for them.
Yes we are all volunteers. It works for us. Hope this helps.
The county I live and work in have SOPs for what is required to be a driver. From age to what classes you have to have. The first class I attended in the 70s showed us all the accidents involving county apparatus from when they started recording the info. They told us driving faster than 10 MPH over the posted speed limit is not a necessary and what you should expect as a driver.
This was all classroom for a five days I believe for 3 hours a night.
I had been driving our ambulance when I took the class. Made me change the way I drive compared to what I learned from members in my station. I got yelled at for driving too slow.
To drive pumpers we had to take a state and county pumps class because they were both offered.
To drive a heavy squad or ladder truck you had to be a pumper driver first.
I even served on a drivers training committee to creat a new drivers course which may have lead to EVOC.
The state has talked of a emergency vehicle operaters drivers license than issuing a CDL to emergency personnel.
In our department, being able to drive a truck is great, but you better not get in the drivers seat if you can't:
1 - Run the pumps
2 - Be able to draft (we do not have many hydrants, most of our water comes from ponds or tankers)
3 - Be able to tie in supply lines and run at least 2 hand lines at the same time at their appropriate pressures (i.e. one has a TFT and another has a Solid bore).
4 - Be able to go to the right compartment, find, and retrieve any major piece of gear off that truck
5 - THEN be able to drive it....

What good is a driver who can get the truck there unless you have someone who can operate it???
Our Dept requires EVOC before you can even be considered for a DO spot. Then we require 40 hour Hydraulics Class and 40 hour Pump Operator Class. We prefer that the person then sit for their State of Florida Driver Engineer exam. We furnish all the above training and most is done in house. It is time consuming but well worth it.
We use the VFIS EVOC program and all operators are required to attend classroom and successfully complete the obstacle and road courses each year. All operators are required to certify on all apparatus before they can operate them. Additionally all driver operators must have additional practical non emergency training prior to
obtaining the required Georgia Class B commercial license in order to operate an apparatus.
I know in Michigan we are only required to talk a seven hour class and a test. If we pass the test it is left up to our depts how long we drive before we are cut lose to drive which trucks we want with who ever in them.
Well we received a FEMA Grant for a new Fire Truck, the Chief informed all Firefighter that before they can drive this truck they must complete a 16 hour EVOC Course. Also before they are considered ready to drive they must complete a driving course that the Chief has planned out in the Community and they must be able to operate the pump. If you are caught driving this Truck with the Training it is an automatic 90 days suspension no questions asked. The new truck is a 6 man cab with a top mount pump. The truck is not like any of our other trucks. I think everyone should have to do drivers training at least once a year.

In my area and dept. we have to have a FF restricted class B at the minimum with a Tank and Air Brake endorsment.  We also have to have 40 hours of drive time before we can get our license.  After we get our license we have to be qualified to drive in each piece of equip.  After we are signed off we only can go Code-2 unless someone who has been driving awhile is with us.  After they are confident that we can drive well we are alowed to go Code-3.

A lot of the depts. in my county are starting to require Driver / Operator 1A and 1B (1A is a 40 hour vehicle opperations and a very extensive EVOC course and 1B is a 40 hour pumping class).  This way they have many hours in the rig before they just hop in and drive Code-3 for the first time.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service