ok i posted a discussion asking about junior firefighter being pulled from school and recieved a lot of feedback, but it also brought up a new question.

WHat about 18 year old full firefighters who are still in school? your ideas?
thanks
Jessica

Views: 181

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Now an adult? Well, I suppose school discipline still counts, the Principal must be in agreement, and there may be some rules imposed. But the parents no longer have to give approval. Life decision for the FF - who has to remember, like all volunteers, that the priority is:
1. Family
2. Work (or school in this case)
3. Firefighting.
The one thing you need to remember is that yes you may be a firefighter but school should always come first if they have been and explorer or a junior for a while then what is a few more months of waiting till school is out for the day before responding? God willing you will have a whole lifetime of serving as a firefighter but you only have a few years for a great education>
School is school- doesn't matter what age.

Stay in school, get an education, then respond....
I thought it was:
1. Unit
2. Corp
3. God
4. Country

(A Few Good Men)
I like that line....
x2! School is more important, work on the other hand... hehehe.
At 18 that's his choice - but someday he might regret it that he didn't finish his education or beyond. Wishing he could have done better. Give education a chance.

Yeah we all honestly admit that school is boring. But the true intent of education - is to exercise our God given intellectual mind, to develop and to prosper.

Hey Jessica, don't follow that guy (18 y/o firefighter) pathway, okay. Surprisingly, at your age. you have a shown to us a great potential - interesting threads you've started. Someday, when you finish high school or college. Who knows - an engine co. captain or battalion chief, a think-tank of NFPA - writing for better standards, an instructor, or secretary for homeland security or whatever.... going up a career ladder gives you an opportunity to do greater good to others.
Not in our Army mate! Leave the 'God' bit out for a start! And the 'Corps'...
As long as the teacher says it OK for them to leave.
We don't "Pull" anyone out of school....and as for work...some employers are more generous than others..we have some people that are allowed to respond but others cannot....Its ...Family.....work.....then the Department... and NO...we don't let anyone under the age of 18 join or respond to any calls....Paul
I posted in the junior fire fighter topic you had and the same goes for anyone still in school.

During school hours you are to be in school if you stay home sick then you are to sick to go to calls.

The reason we put this into effect was years ago we had fire fighters who would skip school alot and getting on the trucks and going to calls. The parents started getting in trouble because of how much school their kids were missing.

The principal of the school rode by the scene of a couple of calls we had and noticed the kids there and mentioned it to the chief about them being there and not at school, so we decided to put the rules in effect.

No leaving school for calls and no calls period if you missed school that day. Once we started using them the parents and even the principal noticed that the students attendence went up. Because they wanted to go to calls so bad they made sure they went to school.
As chief, I tell all new members coming in if they are 16, 17 or 18 and in school. School work is first if you are in school and an alarm comes in you are to stay there, I even tell them not to take their pager to school, because this could cause a distraction in the classroom and the last thing a fire chief wants is a call from the school saying that one of his members caused a distraction in a classroom because his fire pager went off during calss. as far as the 16 and 17 year old members our department rule is they can come to drills and calls until 2100 hrs (9:00 pm), from that time until 0700 hrs (7:00 am), they are not to respond while school is in session. However if they are on vacation or school is closed they can respond to the calls.

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service