When you think about the fire service in this country, what names come to mind and why?
Brannigan? Brunicini? Dunn? Salka? Lasky? Buckman? Grimwood? Goldfeder? Smith? Carter? Bruno? Leary?
If they were coming to a place near you, would you go see them?
What would compel you to make it a point to go and listen to a certain speaker? What topic would most interest you?
Is there someone at the local level that you feel will become nationally known?

Views: 208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Goodrich? (wink)
Mel:
You are just on a roll here lately, aren't you?
You should have said "ChiefReason".
No one knows me by my real name.
;)
I'd also really like to see Rick Lasky and Billy Goldfeder in person. The videos on YouTube don't quite carry the same impact. My interest there has everything to do with their level of passion and their dedication to giving the right info on safety, hold the b.s., regardless of whether it's the popular thing to say or not.
Rick was an LT on the Darien-Woodridge FD and was an instructor for the Illinois Fire Service Institute when I first met him. He had lost his best friend to a house fire, because they couldn't lift him up and out a window. That's where our program "Saving Our Own" came into being. Rick was basically the father of the program here in Illinois. Rick came to my department's anniversary celebration and was our keynote speaker. He did a great job.
From there, he went to Coeur De Leone, ID for a short stint and then to Lewisville, TX. He has written a great book and yes; he is one of the rock stars.
Billy G is Billy G. Accept no imitations. He was a true gentleman and did the introduction for my interview with Chief Mark Wessel. Hmmm. Mark should be included in that list. Mark has travelled the country to share his experiences on losing THREE firefighters on December 22, 1999.
On our local level, I would have to include Col. Richard Jaehne. He is the Director for our fire service institute and got the state to one of the best in the country. He has secured alot of funding for our state, works well with our state representatives on issues and has just been a super guy. We share a passion for premium cigars, too.
Oh; I could go on and on.
Don't forget Dodson for smoke reading, BC Cobb from JCFD, Bob Pressler, Noon, Norman, Coleman, Docimo, the list goes on. Goldfeder is awesome in person.
I have met a few of these guys on the list over the years and it always is an enlightening experience, for various reasons, depending on the individual. I would add a couple others I have been lucky to chat with like Mike Wilbur, Skip Coleman, Tom Brennan (RIP) Leo Stapleton, and just yesterday Mark Wessel.

As for why I would go to listen to them, its really because I would like to hear their take on issues I care about. No rock star stuff for me, (please take no offense Art) and trust me, they would be the first to deny such a claim. As for issues, the list is pretty long. I guess the biggies would be safety, operations & tactics, staffing, pride/tradition, leadership; it goes on and on.

Some of these people that we all want to hear have simply "lived out" many scenarios that we have not, and we want to learn from them. Most of the others have dedicated time and effort into becoming awesome sources of knowledge about the fire service that we need to hear. What I think makes them special is that they are willing to share these experiences with us and take the time to do so.

I pray our fire service culture grooms new "rock stars" for us to learn from as others retire and get some much needed time to themselves.
As my title for this discussion would infer, it is meant as; in much the same way I would choose to see Eric Clapton for a musical concert, Rick Warren from a mental wellness perspective, I would go to hear people from my list of fire service leaders for strengthening my knowledge and leadership skills from a fire service perspective.
And you are correct Jeff with your analogy of the new "rock stars". Who are the ones who are going to step up among the ranks of our fire service future and carry on with the same and even stronger message for the ones who are growing up in today's fire service?
No offense taken.
Great. I knew what you meant, just didn't want to step in toes. You actually have made a rather interesting point here though. How many fire service folks actually go to hear the message, as opposed to going to see the name? I certainly hope that the message is in the majority, and not vice versa.
You have posed a good question here, I hope it gets lots of comments.
There is a fire fighter and instructor in western Pennsylvania that I think is a "Rock Star" his name is Mike Booker.

He is a great fire fighter and respected instructor. He stresses safety when he teaches and he keeps his classes interesting. I have learned alot from Mr. Booker and he is one of the most knowledgeable fire fighters I know.

He is not as well know as the people on your list of names but if he keeps up the way he is going I think he will be.
I think the "Rock Stars" are those who embrace the following:
A dedication to the fire service
A passion for the same
A down-to-earth, take no prisoners, Kick-a$$ approach to relating the material
A sincere desire to share knowledge
An open mind for new concepts and willingness to accept that there IS no way to know it all

I've had the true pleasure to work with some real talent in my time at FASNY, where I least expected to find it--and these aren't the "big names" but their enthusiasm dedication and sincerity is infectious. These are the unsung heroes of emergency services---the ones out there slogging across their county or state, always finding ways to keep it fresh and relevant, and for not much in the way of thanks...doing it for the love of teaching.
Based on the snippets that I have heard and read I would come all the way from Australia to hear Rick Lasky speak - even better would be if we could fly him Downunder so that others could hear the message.
You know; he's just crazy enough to do it.
Could you do me a favor?
Could you run over to New Zealand and get a book back for me? I loaned "Report From Ground Zero" by Dennis Smith to a lad over there a few years back and never got it back. I replaced it with an autographed copy, but I figured since you were within swimming distance...
Thanking you in advance.
Art

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service