You’re the Company Officer (or Acting Officer) on the first-due Engine Company. Chief's on scene with a working fire in a single story wood frame residential occupancy. Confirmed by neighbors that there is an elderly female confined to a wheelchair in the residence possibly with a second resident. Hydrant is near the house as you arrive.

The house was built within the past year. Discuss your immediate actions and why. What’s your assignments based upon a (very liberal) five person crew. ( you weren’t short staffed today). What are your safety concerns, what’s the level of risk to your personnel and where a you going to go first? Where is your crew going to go first? Assuming a second due Engine Company is still 5 minutes out, with the Truck Company being heard in the distance. If you assume the Command Officer’s role; What’s your Incident Action Plan (IAP)? What’s the risk/benefit profile? What are your concerns for the occupants? For the firefighters? (Are you sweating yet?) “Affirmative; Engine, your on scene, now lets get to work”

Views: 1759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ya, Chris I think you got it. I guess I am saying the same thing.
With the chief on seen he should be asking rp if they might know the known location(s) of the patient(s) or even most likely locations he should have as well done a walk around to determine entry and egress routes he should have been peeking through the windows to see if he could tell anything smoke and heat situation as well if he might be able to see patient(s) he should be making an assesment of everything on the exterior. The crew should tag the hydrant on the way in. Have the driver/operator get the deck gun flowing he should be able to provided enough suppression for a two man squad to do a rappid search. Have a second two man crew pull a 1-3/4 and prepair for entry to back-up the first crew in addition they can be pushing the fire back to the far left of the garage. Its clear the fire has spread into the main part of the structure because it has self ventilated above the window that is between the door and garage. Have second crew stay close by front entry while operating the line but not so close as to have to be on air so that if something goes wrong on the inside they are ready to help. Be aggressive in exterior ops and mantain constint monitoring of the roof look for it to start to sag its going to go fast keep in mind thats likely a load bearing wall between the garage and house it has the blunt of the fire going on and once the wall burns out the roof is coming down. Meanwhile the chief should evac the structure to the rear I noticed the garage door is open and there is a car in the garage so it should be something of concern due to the amount of smoke going towards the home. The home could be occupied by an elderly couple that doesnt get around so good and could be easly over taken by smoke inhalation. Without having been there and not being able to do a proper 360 assesment it is very difficult to say how I would handle the situation for all I know the structure to the rear was being filled with smoke from the fire and maybe it should be the priority to make sure nobody is in there not saying that the person in the burning structure should take a back seat but considering the risk to the crew and the way the structure is putting off smoke the house that is burning may already be so full of smoke that even if you found the patient what is the probabilty of survival where as the people in the other structure might have a very good chance if help got to them. I havent been in the service long enough to know the best way to conduct all fire ground ops but thats what training and leadership is for to get us on the wright path and to make us the best we can be for the job I would step up to the plate if I had to but at this point in my fire carreer I would rather be taking orders instead of giving them because I know I have a long ways to go before I am the one to count on for the best way to conduct ops. Thanks for the senario and I look forward to hearing from You and letting me know what I did that was good and why and what I did wrong and why. Thanks again.
I’m extremely late posting on this one, and am glad you have not posted more pics yet. WOW! There are certainly a lot of different ideas, some good some not so good, and yes we are arm chairing this one. A lot would depend on truck setup, but this is what I would do with mine. Plug is close; I believe I see it on the right. While I’m doing my 360, 2 doing LDH to plug, 2 pulling 1 ¾ attack to front door, operator is, we have a top mount walkthrough with deck gun on top, pulling tank water to start deck gun, priming lines. This should be accomplished before my 360 is done. Truck is positioned by second driveway, fire up that gun and knock down some fire, everything or anybody at the back of that garage is lost, at least what I can tell, gun would push fire upwind and to the back, away from the rest of the house. Have all 4 pull second 1 ¾ attack to b side, charge and start SR, 2 in, 1 at door, other is manning front line, with no entry till second co arrives, this would give you some shot at RIT. Now I’m going to make some assumptions here, appears fire has vented; main part of house has vaulted ceilings, but garage does not, building codes would dictate a fire stop between garage and house, and from the way the fire is traveling looks to be true. I’m going to go back to where I started SR, not sure what is there, from pic, but appears to be another garage with a bonus room or Mother-in-laws room above. I like the setup I have but just not sure where to start SR, without a better view, could go A or B or C.
First of all, many thanks to all of you who have been contributing to this discussion. It says a lot to have this level of quality engagement- this is how we learn different insights and perspectives that hopefully can make a difference when we are confronted with a similar situation in the street, under real circumstances....

I experimented a bit last month...I cross posted some additional photos on the Building Construction & Firefighter Safety ...http://www.firefighternation.com/group/buildingconstructionfirefigh... Not many saw this posting and utlized the insights.

Please check those out and see if the additional photos change your point of view. If you're not a member yet of the group, I encourage you to join. As you can see there are plenty of scenario postings to keep everyone busy. I'll post some other sequence of incident photos soon and give you the details on how this scenario was based.
I just looked at the other pics and from viewing those I would not make entry but instead I feel defensive ops is in order. Close quarter fight at garage with 2 man crew on 2-1/2 and an additional man on 1-3/4 providing protection of the house to the left I dont see a deck gun so thats not an option fourth man pulling another 1-3/4 and making way around to the right of the structure winds seem fairly calm but pushing fire straight through from garage to the other side of structure. Sorry but I would not risk any firefighters for these people I dont feel this is a rescue but rather a recovery so fight like mad to get the fire out and maybe you can recover the bodies to give the family some closurer. When the 2nd truck arrives switch out crews offten so that you can be extremly egressive on exterior ops and it might improve a recovery effort.
Chris, the second pic on this page, is the structure to the right and back part of this property, or is this just an optical illusion and a lot farther away?
The house you see in pic #2 above is actually set back and is located a distance away on the Delta side. It is not part of the primary residence. The house on fire is actually somewhat of a L-shaped layout.
Well if i was the officer of the truck I would drop in and establish a water supply. I would then hit the fire with a quick hit of a deck gun to knock some of the fire showing. I would split the crew two guys for search and rescue and 2 guys with a 2 1/2in line to start knocking fire. Without a good 360 I would be weary of a flashover but since there are residents trapped i would have to try to get in there and get them
After viewing the other pics, I can only hope I spotted something on my 360, that led me to the victims, cause I am not sending anyone into that mess. Hope for a quick knockdown and then maybe, but still looks like the roof is down, after that, its recovery.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service