I am thinking of buying a new flashlight for my gear, what kind do yall recommend?? I was thinking of the "BIG ED" ?? got any ideas??? thanks

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We just got the streamlite survivors at my department with the led bulb and the push button on/off switch and they are great everyone loves them. They are resonably priced and worth the money.
I use the Streamlight Survivor also. It is a well built awesome little light. I have had it for 4 years now and have had zero problems with it. The battery is about as good as the day I first got it.
Just thought I would stick this in here: if you ever find yourself with $200 to blow on a light source that will fit in your bunker coat pocket or stick in your helmet strap, check out the Gladius. Its mainly for use by law enforcement and the military as a "tactical light defense source." But if you want to cut through the darkest of dark nights of just about any smoke that burning chemical components of a structure can throw up this is what you want. It puts out...wait for it....250,000 candlepower. And for those of you also in EMS, here is where I show off some of my science geek brain. If you are an EMT or medic who has ever been assaulted, youre gonna love this bad boy. Due to a little physiological short-out calls the Buccha's Effect, this light, especially if you set it to strobe, and pointed at your assailant the following nasties: dizziness, inability to stand or walk, extreme head pain, temporary blindness, a feeling very much like an anxiety attack (oh, s***, Im gonna die) nausea, vomiting and even unconsciousness. I havent been able to afford one yet so I carry the Streamlight Scorpion which is 6,500 candlepower and will still cause alot of pain when hit in the eyes. I also carry a small multi-bulb halogen that cuts through smoke pretty well. It also has a laser pointer on it that throws for a good distance and Ive found it to be helpful on accident scenes at night for things like "I want that part of the car cut right there." As for protecting yourself with the Gladius, Ive been assaulted twice in the back of a rig by a patient and even though its not a whopping 250,000 candlepower, my little Scorpion gave my second bad guy a moment of painful pause. I think if I am a whacker for any kind of equipment, its blades and lights. Fortunately for the person I share my POV with, Illinois only allows one set of blue lights in the windshield. As far as flashlights though, i also carry a medium sized MagLight...the good old standby. The 3volt battery in the Streamlight is only good for one hour of continuous use so its my emergency light but when I need it, its great to have. It is easily visible for more than half a mile and I have used it in landing zone operations more than once. Now if Illinois would just make switchblades legal...Id be a happy man.
I got a pelican 2400 recoil LED for Christmas, haven't used it too much yet but I love it so far. Its light enough to mount on a helmet, brighter than my 3D cell maglight, and its the only LED i've seen that has the bulb facing backwards so th ereflector actually focuses it rather than light being spreda out everywhere. Mine also has th eglow in th edark ring around the end, and it floats, both of these are handy if you loose it, its submersible to 150' I think, but the best part is by far, the unconditional forever guarantee, send ti back to them for whatever reason and they send you a new one, no questions asked (like craftsman tools). I haven't seen too many other companies that offer that.
Big Ed is really good light we carry one for every crew seat on the rigs so that everyone has access to a personnel flashlight. We still carry Litebox on all trucks both the older version and as we have money the newer flashing strobe version
http://www.foxfury.com/products/performance_series/index.htm

Hands down, my favorite. I still carry a Stream light survivor on my coat out of habit, but never use it.
I bought the Streamlight Survivor LED. That light is so bright. Works really good, and it even come with a little half ring on it so you can strap it to your gear. Only thing is i bought mine for $124 and that was the cheapest i could find it for.
Things to think about. The Streamlight Survivor is their only intrsinsically safe light that you would likely buy. The litebox and vulcan are not. Almost all Pelicans are instrinsically safe. Also, Pelicans have lifetime warranites that would even cover a light that your burned up in a fire. They stand behind their products more than any other manufacturer out there.
Get a Pelican, they are indestructible, I have had one for yrs . It has been burned, melted, run over, dropped 100 feet, bounced, kicked, and used as a hammer, it still is working after all that. Went out and got a second one was worried it would not work, it still is my primary. Zimm
I highly recomend the Streamlight Survivor. I used it last month in a house fire with thick smoke banking only almost a foot from the floor, my crew and I found our way from the back door to the living room with the Survivor. It is by far one of the best pieces of PPE my department invested in and I wouldn't give it up for anything else.
I've had quite a few personal flashlights on my gear over the years. I think my next choice will be the Little ED recoil LED model in yellow. If only the price would come down a little! Just my 2 cents...stay safe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service