From the: U.S. Fire Administration's (USFA) General Announcements E-mail list. This message is provided by USFA for informational purposes only.

Lowering the U.S. Flag

Did you know that the law requires the U.S. flag be lowered in tribute on only a few days each year? Quite appropriately, one of these days is the observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.

On October 16, 2001, President George W. Bush approved legislation requiring the U.S. flag to be lowered to half-staff on all Federal buildings to memorialize fallen firefighters. Public Law 107-51 requires this action to occur annually in conjunction with observance of the National Fallen Firefighters Memorial Service.

Let your local media know that U.S. flags across the country will be lowered on Sunday, October 5, 2008. This includes the U.S. Capitol and the White House, as well as buildings in your local community.

Remember to lower the U.S. flags at your home, fire department, and business. Encourage your local community to follow the Federal Government's example. When you lower your flag this year, you will recognize the brave men and women who died protecting their communities from natural and man made emergencies and disasters and those who carry on the proud tradition.

You may also want to ask your state and local officials to include lowering the flag in a proclamation recognizing the brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good evening fellow fire fighters and EMS personnel. I just want to say to all that was fortunate to be present at the memorial service in Emmettsburg, MD this weekend to honor the fallen firefighters, it was a pleasure to meet you please stay safe and I look forward to seeing you next year when we will honor those that gave the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you
The Flag is a tangible symbol of our Constitution and our way of life. Just as they have changed over time, so too should the laws regarding our Nation's most cherished symbol, The Flag.

As long as the laws remain reverent of The Flag and its display, I think honoring collective groups of Americans who made their ultimate sacrifice for our Nation, our way of life and our fellow Americans is wholly appropriate.

Up the death of certain Americans serving, or who have serve our Nation, as senior officials in the government there are rules governing how The Nation pays its respects. In the event of the death of the President or former President of the United States The Flag is flown at half-staff for 30 consecutive days; fewer days for lower officials such as the Vice President, Speaker of the House, etc...

Honoring all Firefighters who have fallen in the Line of duty by lowering Old Glory one day each year is precisely the same as our nearly Century-old custom of lowering The Flag each year on Veterans' Day, and on Memorial Day, to honor their ultimate sacrifice.

Joel, I understand where you are coming from, but frankly there are so few Americans who risk their very lives for our Nation and Her people, that honoring them as a group each year will not cause the Stars and Stripes to fly at half-staff each day of the year.

I do want to say that I think a more important issue regarding the flying of The Flag is the proper care and replacement of worn American Flags. If every Fire Chief, Captain or President of the Board of every Fire Department, district, or Firehouse would check The Flag flying in front of their stations twice a year and replace Old Glory whenever She is worn or frayed with new Flag, that would honor the Symbol of our Nation more than anything else! Once you've replaced your American Flag with a new one, please donate the retired Flag to the VFW, or a local Boy Scout or Girl Scout Troop so it can be properly retired.

Honoring the fallen is never a sign of weakness; a weak nation is one which does not honor its heroes.

GM

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service