I took an incredible class in September. The class was Firefighter Survival. This class beat the crap out of me. I absolutely loved it. We broke thru walls and bailed out windows. The bailing out a first floor window was a piece of cake, and breaking through a wall was incredible and having to go through 4 different ways was harder than I could have ever imagined. We worked hard and man did we sweat.

The second half of the day was doing a bailout from an upper floor. The first part was bailing out a second story window and it was not easy for me, I have a fear of falling and here the instructor was asking me to rely on a piece of rope and fall out a window and lower myself down. I actually said to the instructor, “you want me to fall out a window and I have a fear of falling, are you crazy?” I was laughing the whole time. I did it and I will say it is really hard and rather scary cause if you don’t have the rope just right, you will lower down way to fast. Then we did the head first down a ladder. This was a really fun one that we all in the class worried about. I got a little nervous because I wasn’t sure I had enough upper body strength. I did and it wasn’t as bad as I thought.

I recommend this class for every firefighter. This is stuff that we need to know in the case of where we need to get out of the building or at least into another room to get out. I would definitely take this class again just to get a chance to learn more of what we were taught.
So, how many of you have taken the Firefighter Survival class and what did you think about it. I would like to hear what you have to say about this class.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I took it several years ago and I highly recommend it for all current or prospective interior firefighters. For us it was a two day class and well worth every minute of it.

Kim, I loved the 2nd floor bailout; it was the wall breeching that I had trouble with. The ladder slide was also exciting, but causes everything to drop out of your pant/coat pockets if you haven't already emptied them.
Done it 2 maybe 3 times over the past 10 years and teached it 14-15 times...

Ours is a state class 20 hours total, Firefighter Safety and Survival and RIT. It is a 4- hour classroom with 16-hours of hands on practicals. We do breaching, forcible entry/exiting, making windows into doors, rope slides, ladder slides and ladder bail while hooking your arm, moves, drags and carries up and down stairs, rescuing our own through a hole in the floor, 1000 lb air management drill, trapped in the basement and have to exit through the standard sized little basement window using only your tools to boost you up and more...

Kim I see you had a fear of falling. Question, did they use a manned belay line on a descender when you were sliding the rope and the ladder?
They did have a safety line for us just for the class. I took Rope Rescue Basic 2 years ago and last year I took Rope Rescue Intermediate. They were really good classes and it helped some with my fear.
Took it....loved it and I hope to hell that the skills I learned never have to come into play....It really struck home the fact that if we do what we are supposed to do we never should find ourselves needing these skills....Size up....reading the fire and smoke...paying attention to what is happening around us....ect. I think this should be mandatory for every interior firefighter.....Stay safe and remember to always keep the faith...........Paul....and as our instructor told us during lunch break....."Don't eat more than what your mask will hold"
Where did you take this class? It sound great!
I took mine at Canton Fire Department...Our Department offered one but I had to work....Contact your State Office and maybe they can steer you toward one.....Good luck,,,Stay safe......Paul
Oh My God, we were hysterical when our instructors told us that. Believe me when I tell you that at lunch we didn't eat a whole lot and it was a light lunch for us in the class. Thanks Paul...
Butch, I took this class at our Fire Academy in Montour Falls, New York. It really is a great class and is something that all Interior Firefighters should take as far as I am concerned....
I have also taken this class and am in motion to take RIT class this fall. This was a great class and i did learn alot about alot of things. This teaches the firefighter to look for areas of saftey and areas to get clean air if need be. I also recomend this class for any entry person. I was also beat up when i was finished but was glad to take it.
The Firefighter Survival/Rescue class is MANDATORY for all new firefighters in the Commonwealth of Kentucky in order to obtain a FFI or FFII status
Awesome class. I took it several years ago along with a first in officer class. Lots of fun and it could save your life someday! Stay safe!
Thanks for the reply, I also agree that all interior Firefighters should take part in a class like this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service