hey there everybody was just wondering how everybody thinks about the new ANSI regulation that is to be implemented in november for all Firefighter, EMS and Law Enforcement. I just want to see what everyone thinks of it

Views: 400

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My F.D. already has SOP's in place for the wearing of reflective vests at roadway incidents. I'm OK with the new regulations. Too many motorists drive around with their heads up their asses! It's time we took steps to ensure that we're even more visible at a roadway incident. NEVER assume that motorists will see you, ALWAYS assume that they will try and hit you! Stay safe!
i like the idea, but there is a sit back now they are going to pay attention where we are at and not watch the road
If they're Regulations, and you have to obey it really doesn't matter what you think about them! Don't like them? Get a movement going to try and have them changed.

Justin? Motorists do that all the time anyway - how often are we at a job on a busy road and we get a sympathy collision from people not looking to their front? We had a five car pile-up one day when we were training, people having to look over - maybe hoping to see blood?

It was interesting about that five car job. The driver of the second car (the one to collide first) said to a copper "I was looking at the fire trucks and didn't see him (the guy in front) stop". Oops. Her lawyer tried to get her first statement replaced with one that wsan't quite so damning, no good, the judge wouldn't allow it.
Justin, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I am not familiar with these new regulations. Can you please post what they are. It would be very helpful toward enabling myself and others to understand more about your post.

TCSS, Mike
hey there tony

i just want to get other peoples take on it, i think that the regulation is a good one for the reason of that we also need to be safe on car accidents
here is the regulation for it
In order to reduce the number of injuries and fatalities, the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Department, is taking action by passing a new regulation. Under Federal Highway Administration 23CFR Part 634 Worker Visibility, personnel working within the rights-of-way of a Federally funded highway MUST wear high visibility safety apparel that meets ANSI/ISEA 107-2004 Class 2 or higher standards. This ruling not only applies to construction and road maintenance workers, but First Responders, Law Enforcement officers, and Fire fighters
It is a good thing . It also covers city and county street crews wrecker operators and anyone working along the roads the ones around here have gotten their vest about a month ago .
I AGREE IT MAKES US MORE VISIBLE....but, WOULDN'T YOU THINK THAT SOMEONE MIGHT CONSIDER MAKING IT FLAME RETARDANT..??? sORT OF LIKE SAYING HERE i AM...COME AND FIND ANOTHER WAY TO HARM ME...THE THOUGHT OF A POLYESTER RAG (NO MATTER THE COLOR) MELTING ON MY SORRY BUTT JUST DOESN'T DO MUCH FOR MY EGO......STAY SAFE AND KEEP THE FAITH......PAUL
You don't wear the vest while fighting a fire!
Another regulation. My question is..how much money was spent on coming up with this regulation? If your worried about being seen on scene....Wear you turnout coat!! All the reflectors you need, plus it protects you from all the little hidden hazards at the MVA's.
No shit.....really...?? Thanks for the heads up.....if you have gone to training lately....the new phrase is.."If your feet are on the street, the vest is on your chest." Hmmm...street...?? MVA...??? related...?? maybe...MVA....vehicle fire...??? Related...?? More often than some care to admit...and FYI the "street" if a highway is 50 feet from the center line...When we respond we are ready to go to work before we get there...Do we hope and pray that a fire doesn't start...?? What we are doing is all wear the vests EXCEPT those in airpacks...And NO I don't disagree with the policy...I just want someone to give me the proper gear...Paul
No, sorry Dave, tests have shown that the reflective turnouts are not all that visible either during the day or at night.....I have seen the videos...and it really is eye opening...I just found a vest that I am buying myself....Rip away design in case it gets hung up ...ANSI class II...and guess what...??!!! FLAME RETARDANT...!!!! Damn...just like a little kid at Christmas time....LOL..anyone interested you can see it or purchase it at "The Fire Store" and yes they have an online store....think it is $ 30.00...Stay safe out there....Keept he faith.......Paul

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service