With some states making huge strides in the combating of Meth Labs, the meth cookers are moving to other states to seek refuge from the law. Meth labs are extremely easy to build, and even easier to hide. Does your department have ANY training on what to look out for, or do if you happen upon a Meth Lab? Do they understand they can potentially allow a Meth Lab operator(s) off the hook by taking the wrong steps when finding one? Does the DEA hold classes (free) in your area to show you what to look for and what to do?

Views: 309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our team has done extensive training on this as well. If you need some good training. Lt. Carlos Rodriguez from Wichita, Kansas does an amazing class. We had him out to our conference and he has done his lecture at IChiefs as well. He is a great resource.
we had a huge meth lab problem here in Bradford county PA.It was bad enough that two sheriff deputies got killed.Since then there has been a huge decrease.With that and whatever the laws are now,they seem to be working very well here. To answere your other question we had the sheriffs department come and give a class on what to look for and what to do. You might want to check with local law enforcement and see where that gets you. Hope that helped.
Local law enforcement wouldn't be the AHJ on a Meth Lab, it would be the DEA. Locals are a good start, but not the final answer
For the specific reasoning they are the ones who would prosecute the case. They have Clan Lab teams who do nothing but dissect evidence from the scene, and assist HAZ MAT in doing thier jobs then they contact a clean up company to remove the risks. (at DEA's Expense)
For those of you who are relatively new, AHJ is an acronym for "Authority Having Jurisdiction".
Typically, when there is a multi-agency response, there is discussion as to who is the AHJ.
Hope that helps.
The funny part was when I typed AHJ I almost elaborated, but based on many of my long winded devils advocate postings I figured most would just say "Duh" LOL I should also mention that like the IC it is not always the Highest ranking officer who is the AHJ. Specialized training in a area of expertise could put someone who is not the chief as the AHJ for the community. In my former fire district I was the AHJ for fire code enforcement, and I am not a chief officer
my dept has had training on meth labs and they are under the hazmat categoryin my state
Who conducted your training? How long was the training? What was covered?
We had a meth lab in town about 15 years ago, well before any awareness training or haz mat team. The sheriff's department took the lead on this with help from the state police and others. If I recall the SP had their own haz mat team. Our job was to stay in the fire house and roll if we heard a loud BOOM. Thankfully we didn't.

Today some of us have taken a New York State course on recognizing clandestine drug operations but it's by no means mandatory. I think it was taught by a fire instructor and was only 2-3 hours. Our haz-mat team has not done any training on meth labs as far as I recall.
I can't speak any more highly about the DEA class Joe. If you can make contact with DEA and have them come down (they like classes of 70-85 people) you and your team would be provided with an immense amount of knowledge needed to not only take care of business, but what not to do so the perp doesn't get a new lease on life due to operations errors, and evidence collection issues

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service