It's 9:00 at night and your at your local bar with your friends, and a 24 y/o male goes down in the bar, he's not breathing and no pulse......................and you don't have a cpr mask or gloves. Do you wait for an ambulance, or do you perform CPR without a mask?

I've talked to our CPR instructor and he stated if we're on scene like and this happens we can do just chest compression and we wont get into trouble.

Anyways I'd do what I've got to, mask or not, I'm doing full CPR.

Views: 213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes well, I'm out there to save lives and if I feel the person needs full CPR, I'm going to do it anyways, its a live death thing, and intell CPR goes to just compressions, I'm still giving full CPR, but I usually dont get caught without a mask, I've got one in every vehicle I drive and so does my family since they're in the same line of work too:)
it's not official untell your trained or you get your updated card right? or does it just take affect? I'm not sure on how this works.

Also I'm form a smaller town and we've got a pop. of about 12,000 people and pretty much everyone knows one another, so it would be vary hard for me to just stand there and watch or even try to instruct someone else. Plus I don't drink either, this way I'm always ready for the call.
In a pinch, I'd use a napkin. Granted its not the safest method but its better than nothing.
You exhale about 16-19% oxygen
The new Cpr is 30 compressions to 2 breaths.. To be honest with I would do the breaths anyway.. I would not be able to sit and watch someone die in front of me in fear of a disease... Selfish of me to think what he could have as he lays there dieing.. Not for me to paly god for the day... Good for you to also do CPR..
Thanks Anne, I'm sure other peolpe can say they won't know but when it comes down to crunch time I'm sure some of them would do CPR also.
Question - And I'm NOT arguing with those who say compressions only - I've read those same studies. I'm for it.

But my teacher taught full CPR at the course sponsored by my agency, so if I do act but do less than I'm trained, can't I get in trouble? Am I violating my training to a standard of care if i just do compressions? I mentioned it once and was told our protocol is CPR as instructed - which means breaths, which we were taught to do with or without barrier.

Just wondering how that fits in until we actually get taught to do compressions only and get a card for that.

I suspect if this happens to me I will prove myself a truly horrible person by making a snap value judgement as to how clean and normal they look - and do breaths or not accordingly. Or maybe I'll surprise myself. Hoping not to find out.
Tom, do you want to comment on the controversy that led to the 30:2 CPR we do now, vs. the old 15:2, vs the compression-only theory? I'd give it a shot, but you're the SME on this one.
Andy its not 100% just compressions yet, at least not that I've heard, but yes you've got to do full CPR if your trained........................ but if your off duty and dont have a mask on you, you can just give chest compressions only and you wont get into trouble,so "our protocol is CPR as instructed - which means breaths with or without barrier" is wrong you do have a chioce.
Andy You can not get into trouble,but nor do I think because you have a card and nobarrier that you would step back and go out the door... Like the old CPR was wrong 15 to 1.. I think because of the fear it got changed,because I do think people are slipping out the back door in fear.. so 30 to 2 make you feel better whenyou are doing CPR .. In the mind of some they are worried ohhhhh I have no mask oh what I get .. I remember going on a call in my town of Oxbow and it was a older guy up looking for land to buy with his wife . He dropped Myself and a fireman was first... He went for the head and I started compressions.. This guy had ate spagettie ukkkkk .. ,but you know what my fellow fireman never stopped mouth to mouth.... The man lived thanks to the fact he never stopped,never looked at the guy and wondered what disease,or will he throw up in my mouth.. People have to do what they need to do.. I don't degrade you and the fear of catching something.. People are different and they have that right... I look at it could be my family down
right on Anne, "I look at it could be my family down" same here:)
I'm guessing that getting another drink in is a bad thing ??? *cough, cough*.

But reading through the comments so far, it'd be hard not to do something when everyone is watching you... For me, CPR combines both chest compressions and ventilations. Having gloves wouldn't bother me too much, but the face barrier might make me look for other options... But as have a small keyring with a face shield in it, it'd not be a problem as I always have my keys with me. G

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service