I'm not going to lie here and I'll probably catch so greef on this one, but if I can get pasted the safety officer without wearing my nomex, I will. I hate them period and yes I've had hot embers go down my neck and I've gotten severe burns from them, but I can find a fire so much faster without it on because when you've got it on you cant feel the heat as much, I like feeling the heat because in a totally smoke filled house I use that heat to find the fire and there's about 3 of use on the department that are the most aggressive interior attack guys we've got and none of use like to wear them. If we get caught without them we've got to put them back on and its like going into a fire clueless and searching all over to find the fire. Just wanted to know if anybody else does this or are we the only ones out there...................................be honest know:)

Views: 1897

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I wear my in training too, but when its time to get it on with fire, its just that I dont think of putting it on.
That violates the first rule of both training and operations...
Practice Like You Play and Play Like Your Practice
Why would you ever want to feel the heat "better". There is NO "better" when it comes to feeling heat. If you want to find the fire, use a thermal imaging camera, ventilate the crap out of the building, read the smoke, but don't use a body part as a meat thermometer.
If using a body part as a meat thermometer is a good idea, we'll see the NFPA start recommending crotchless bunker pants any day now. If it's good for the ears, it should be even better for the....other body parts, right?
I dont mean better heat, I'm saying as it gets hotter, and we've got thermal cameras but we just never take them inside on the initial attack, we do afterwards, I guess thats something to remember though.
I totally understand your view and I knew I was going to get some negative feedback and I stated that in my question, I'm going to look into the cabon fiber hood's, and I'll try and start to make the change, its like quiting smoking of something..............
you are so right Ben, but I'm sure we're not all perfect, but we must do the BEST that we can.
You have GOT to be kidding me. You need your ears to find the fire because you left the thermal imager sitting in the engine???

If you really do that, you probably won't enjoy the burn unit much.
I have posted my feelings on this issue many times, gave many examples to my feelings on the issue. I dont wear a hood, have not in the 11 years I have been on the job. Little back ground, 11 years on a company that is Avg 700 fires a year, suffered two burns..to my legs zero to neck and ears. The hoods DO hinder your feeling of heat, and it has been documented that firefighters who had no feeling of heat have gotten in too far and been caught in Flashovers. A video was going around showing two firefighters crawling into a fully involved shed with hood and full PPE, with no hood you wouldnt have gotten to the door opening. Obviously they didnt feel the heat that triggered the part of the brain to say...Hey..stop!! I dont buy the reading smoke when your crawling down that hallway when you can barely see the lights on your scba, you have to use your sense's and one of them is feeling! When those little ears get a little warm your gonna stop and back up before going any further and getting in to Far. With the hood, when you feel the heat you are too far!! I know people dont agree with this, but it works! Using a TIC to find the fire is great, but what if you dont have one?? You have to use what god gave you....it dont require batteries and it dont have any parts that will break. Just my view. Wear them if you want to, just becareful.
Thanks Dave for being honest, we're on the exact same page here, and I'd be interested in seeing that video if you ever find it again.
I like them because I like my hair just the way it is without chunks missing thank you.. damn hot amber down the back of the neck.. you'd the man to be able to handle that kind of heat,,, When it is 20 below out also keeps the ears warmmmm
Well, there is no "polite" way of saying this sooooooo.....SMARTEN UP...you have that equipment for a reason....wear it...!!! and wear it properly....What if someone said "I really don't want to wear my helmet, it messes my hair"...? LOL...well poor excuse but an excuse none-the-less....excuses are like assholes...we all have one and they all stink....also it is a very poor example for your new people....If you get hurt or burned are you aware that your insurance may not pay for your medical bill if you aren't wearing proper gear..? I hate to say it quite this way but this is the dumbest thing that I have read here that wasn't posted by a "probie"....Stay safe ...keep the faith...and wear you gear....all of it....it might just save your ass......Paul

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service