I am talking about a helmet. Would you spend your own money for a helmet if you didn't like the one issued to you by the department? Would it be leather or plastic? New York style or Metro? Rachet, adjustable suspension?
How much is your noggin worth?

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went and spent my own cash on a New Yorker Leather with rathet and suspension brass eagle head peice and borks was over 400.00 I also paid 100.00 for my original leather NY from my first Dept. from 91 non ratchet heavy as hell leather. There is one thing that will stop the purchase of said gear, a lot of busy or district run Depts. will have a SOP preventing outside singular purchases like that cause naturally if it breaks on their time they have to replace it.
I'll chime in with my humble opinion. First I am a traditionalist. I believe in red fire trucks and leather new yorkers. But when my dept. wore phillys, I wore philly. I doubt that there is any evidence that would show a a FF from Philly was injured worse because of the style of helmet he was wearing. Now if my dept had issued me a street worker plastic hard hat, I might have worried.
Also, if I had ever had the chance to be a chief, I'd want to be somewhat able to identify my people by having some sort of uniformity. Having 2+ different style within a dept is just bad. Again though, this is just my opinion
I Spent 250 on a helmet and 250 on boots.
Always remember there is no one that is gonna take care of your head but yourself so I ask you what value do you put on your head and everytime you go out on a run don't you want the best protection since God only gives You One Head in Life!!!! God Bless You Brothers and Sisters. From My Heart..... Hughie 57 House Remember only You knows what is Best for Your Head!!!
leather helmets are about more than just ego or being cool. It is about tradition. US firefighting is slowly slipping away from tradition and we have to get it back. We owe it to the next generations of FF's who we train to teach them where we come from and why we love the Fire Service. So, my leather is not about how cool I look, it is about holding on to history and building new memories. So, yes I would spend my own money for a leather. I have in the past and I will in the future if needed.
Yep, I've did it 4 times all New Yorkers 2 blacks 1 red and 1 white
I bought my own needed another helmet so I went and bought a cairns 1044. I love that helmet. And I only paid 175.00 for mine. I can't see 400 on a helmet.
Wow if I had the money to buy a new helmet I would, the good thing is that mine is fairly new anyway and our dept. will replace it if its in bad shape, but yes I would if I had the cash.
I have purchased three New Yorkers, and four pairs of leather boots " gotta love my Black Diamonds" over the years.
Yes I would and have spent my own money for a helmet not once but twice. To me it is a matter of pride and tradition. In all actuality I have no issued gear from the company. I have two full sets, one at station and one in my pov. I constantly get harassed due to the fact that my gear is the cleanest at station, but if everyone had to spend the money to get their first set of gear the next set that is company issued would be better taken care of.
Hi Tommy, Welcome to FireFighter Nation. I have bought several NewYorker Helmets and couple pair of leather boots and Tom I didn't mind doing it because it was the principle of protecting my body that only God gives you one of but what really upsets me is that after putting thirty years in the Volunteer Fire Service in Westmoreland County in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania I stop to think to myself everytime that alarm comes in and I think Why is 85 percent of the Commonwealth of PA One of the Last of the StrongHolds for The Volunteer Fire Depts in the Commonwealth of PA and why does PA have more Volunteer Firefighters than alot other States in this Country???? When the Commonwealth of PA makes millions of dollars off of the Volunteers???? I look around the men and women while I am spending hours at the station and I think to Myself Why is the Police Paid and The E.M.S. Paid and they deserve to be paid more and the 911 Dispatchers are all paid and I hear about all of this Stress they are under well what about Us Volunteer FireFighters that are on 24/7/365 and answering every call they can possibly make while their Families sacrifise and they also work at their jobs and yet have a very hard time making ends meet and scrimping for every cent to put their children through college??? I have heard the comments of We are So Proud and we do it for the Pride and help our fellow neighbors and citizens in the Commonwealth of PA and I am still active as a firefighter but yet I Say to Myself when are all these other men and women gonna do it for Pride and to Volunteer to help their fellow neighbors and citizens?????? I Say that if Everyone Else is Good Enough to Get Paid and Benefits and Vacation than Why isn't the Volunteer FireFighters when everyone else can be and have their own Unions and hear We are saying we do it for Pride well Brothers and Sisters I think it is High Time We Look Out For Us The Volunteer FireFighters and Make Them All Paid FireFighters as the Police and E.M.S. and the 911 Dispatchers in The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Afterall we Deservee that Respect we deserve to be in The Union Afterall We Stake Our Lives On The Line 24/7/365 and we take the Same Training as The Paid FireFighters So Why Aren't We PAID????????? I THINK WE DESERVE IT DON'T YOU BROTHERS AND SISTERS???? AfterAll I Am Darn Proud to Say I am a FireFighter!!!!!!!!
Hello Brother Asst 29, I feel bad for You and that is ashame that your dept doesn't buy your gear and as I made my feelings known to Tommy Warshaw I feel its time the Volunteers get Paid just like the Police,E.M.S. and the 911 Dispatchers afterall they belong to the Union and get pay increases and have benefits and vacation than whats the matter with Us Volunteer FireFighters becoming Career FireFighters Afterall We deserve It and We have taken the same training as the paid guys!!!! Just My Thoughts and I am Very Proud and still Active after thirty years and wouldn't consider retiring because its in my blood!!! Are We Worth It????? Ask Your Fellow Politicians what they think????

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service