I am talking about a helmet. Would you spend your own money for a helmet if you didn't like the one issued to you by the department? Would it be leather or plastic? New York style or Metro? Rachet, adjustable suspension?
How much is your noggin worth?

Views: 409

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Prior to getting the white helmet, I always said that a white helmet should definitely come with a muzzle. I guess I am "they" now...

I know all kinds of white helmet jokes, by the way. Like did you know the white helmet actually absorbs brain cells?

Hello? Is this thing on?
I would spend the money for a knew helmet that i liked. The one i have now sits to high and is way to heavy. I would like a lower helmet and a lighter one. This I shall have to look for.
I'm sure that there are guys out there that will GIVE you their old Cairns 660 Metro.
They are slung low and look soooooo cool!
Mine hangs on the wall. I wouldn't part with it for love or money.
I want it BURIED with me.
For a little more than $400 you can get both Boots and a new fire helmet. I purchased a pair of leather Warrington Pro bunker boots for around $250. I was issued rubber boots but the leather are so much more comforatble it isn't even funny. Not to mention the ridges on the toes that helps when crawling on you hands and knees in a house fire. I am planning on buying a traditional helmet, just havent broke down and ordered one yet.
I would certainly pay big bucks for a helmet if the department-issued one was unsafe or defective. I would get a leather New Yorker style with the latest suspension and ratchet thingies included. ESS goggles rather than the Bourkes... gotta protect the eyes too, they're part of the noggin.

Hey, this is exactly the kind of helmet I have, all except the leather part.
I have and will again spend $400 over and over and over. I have bought myself 4 helmets 2 pairs of leather boots training classes (FDIC etc.) just to name a few. I recently bought myself a $30 measure wheel for preplanning buildings and hyrant locations in my district.

I found out long ago you get out what you put into this job. Those that tend to put more into it tend to love it and become better at it. Those that put little into it and do the bare minimum tend to complain and not be as proficient at the job.

Plus if you look into it there is alot you can write off on taxes. Such as training,tools,mileage to the firehouse, etc.
xchief22 re: the 660/662: the only two pieces of tupperware I owned that I liked (other than my TF-issued Kiwi, but that's a different application altogether). I still have my metros on a shelf, my firefighter black covered in a half-pound of molten roof tar and the red officer's lid the last I had before going traditional.
I like my 664 Metro.

I've never worn a leather lid, and I guess I'm from the new school and just can't see how something that gets soft when heated will protect my head. The hard-shell, which is designed with important qualities such as greater penetration/cut resistance and newer eye-protection systems like ESS Goggles and Defender eye shields, seems to be to more protective choice.

I can understand reluctance to use some of the older helmets, like in the 1970's before some of the new synthetic materials came into service and were more "plasticy."

Then again I've been wearing a Kevlar helmet for so many years; it just seems natural to me to wear a synthetic material helmet.
You bet I'd spend it, have on more than one occasion. The new yorker is my first choice,the 1010 is my second. Both damn fine helmets. I'd rather not have ash, hot water and various other body unfriendly things dumped down my collar, not to mention feeling like you have to do balancing act to keep the thing on your head.But whatever you have wear it right and it will do the job it's built for. Be safe folks, remember EVERYONE GOES HOME.
yes I'd buy my own and I did, because our department wants them back, why I dont know, I wanted to buy a leather one, but my department told me I wont be able to use it, and they've got nothing in their sop about it, but I didnt want to stir the pot so I have not got one yet.
My F.D. issued Cairns 1010's when I got on. Now they're issuing Morning Pride Ben2 Plus helmets. I love my 1010 so I'd have to say, NO I would not spend my own money. We did have a Captain who bought his own leather helmet though.
if i didnt like my helmet i would buy a helmet for $400 to save my head

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service