I'm coming into my senior year next year and I've made up my mind that being a firefighter is something i really want to do. But thats pretty much all i have decided on. I don't know what path to go down now. What I want to do, I know there are more decisions to make other then deciding that I want to be a firefighter. My borther was a volunteer firefighter before he was killed in Iraq 2 years ago and though he would never admit it he was more proud to be a firefighter then in the Marines. So my question is what are my options, and whats the best way to get there, I know I want a college education but do I need one? and if I get one with the difference be big? What do you guys do? Do you enjoym it? Is there any advantages or disadvantage from one to another?

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just seen your topic and thought I would give you some advice. Becoming a firefighter is not like what it use to be. The first thing I would say is before you spend serious money on this career, join a vol. dept. Try it out for say 3 or 6 months. Just about every dept will pay for you to get your fire 1 and fire 2 certs. NFPA requires this of all firefighters. If you still like the choice you have made then enroll in a college or university and go for a fire science degree. Being that you will have your fire 1 and fire 2 certs, this will count toward 27 - 32 credits, depending on the school that you choose. After your 2 years of schooling, you will need to apply to a emt class. Cost around 750.00 - 1000.00. This is a minimum required by 95% of career depts. Some now requiring even a paramedics licenses. once you have your fire science degree, and you emt basic, start applying for a career in the fire service. Be safe, It's not a game, Make sure everyone goes home!
Get an education. Carry on with school, go to college or university and be educated. If you can get hired fulltime in the meantime, you will have the time to work on your studies part time once you get going (and finish that education). The department I am with will not offer an interview without a post secondary education. Take a program that interests you and that you could continue as a second career once you are a firefighter if you so desire (many have full or part time jobs as well, because time affords it, and depending on where you live, if you want to make that mortgage payment, you may need two incomes).

Start applying as soon as you can. Get to know the system, get to know some people in the departments you want to apply to and see if they can guide you towards people in recruitment so they can offer you some pointers as well.

I work fulltime and love it. It took me almost 6 years, multiple courses, finishing my post secondary, and literally, blood sweat and tears and it was all worth it... more than worth it. BUT... get your education!! :)
There are lots of options, depending on where you live and if you are willing (or able) to go to a college. It can be done (in some areas) with the older method of these items:
1 work a job for money
2 pay for the schooling at college
3 get on a department for experience - it isn't real easy and takes time, but possible. Also, most departments (if financially able) will pay for your basic FF training.

Another option - get to any college with a fire academy program, which dovetails into a fire science degree (also add EMS training).

A great option if you can (or want to) have a great experience AND get your degree:
Go to this web site and check it out: http://www.cpvfd.org/index.php

At College Park MD (and others like it) you live at the station FREE, and work a certain amount of evening and weekend shifts running real calls for the volunteer FD. During the day, you go to school or work a side job for money. The station has a dorm just like any other college, it just happens to be at a FD. If I was a kid again, this is the way I would go.
By the way, the folks who make it out of this program get hired all over the country, it is well known all over.

Good Luck, I hope you find your way into the fire service, and find that it is a career for you.
As far as a college education goes some depts require it...some do. I do encourage you to go ahead and go to college. For the experience and for the degree. That way if you do ge hired on a dept, and you get hurt you can have a back up plan. Also many depts work a 24 on 48 off schedule which will give you plenty of time to have another career. As it has already been stated I do encourage you to join a volunteer fire dept, to get the experience, and also to make sure this is something you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life. In my county in Tn you can be a volunteer (County) firefighter at 18 but you have to be 21 to join the city (Career) fire dept. Do some research where you are from and get to know a few of the men/women that work at your local fire dept. Doing this will do 2 things get you used to those with whom you wish to work with and also make your face familiar for when interview time comes around.

Good Luck....If you need any further advice myself as many others on this site will be more than happy to help you out.
Thanks guys. You have really given me alot of help. Here in a couple of weeks I will be going on a few job shadows and my local fire depatment to help get me started and hopefully if all goes well and be doing some more over the summer. Possibly some simple volunteer work over the summer if they would allow me. Just something simple. I'd clean the bathrooms if they'd ask me to. lol If I got to stay up there with them.
become a volunteer and make sure that this is the route you truly want to take, firefighting is in your blood and is a part of you, it's not just a career. go to college, it will help, if they offer fire science courses take them. my ex is going back to finish his fire science degree.
I took what I call the back door into a fire service career. I was a volunteer for 10 years and took as many classes as possible and responded to as many calls as possible. I had lots of experience but no college education, which I found was needed for about 90-95% of career departments like stated above. I also found that most required at least an EMT-Basic certification and I earned one. After achieving NFPA Instructor I certification I was hired part time as a training officer for the third fire department I volunteered with. I am currently a career training officer and a captain full time; however it took four agencies a ton of hard work, sacrifice and time away from family to achieve. The moral of this story is that it takes a well balanced diet so to speak for a career in the fire service.
Like said above, volunteer for an agency, earn a fire science degree, become and EMT, learn as much as possible and never stop learning which is impossible anyway. Once in as a volunteer or career member most importantly stay safe, be safe and promote safety always.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service