Ok, it's the dead of winter, I'm tired of plowing snow. Let's talk Wildland! What does everyone keep in their pack? How about their Wildland Turnouts?

Pack: EpiPen, 5 fusees, parachute cord, small first aid kit, 3 liter camelback insert, compass, shelter, extra socks, knife, spare radio batt's, granola bars, extra gloves, bug spray, bug wipes, a couple of Bic lighters, boot laces, RedBook, warning tapes on carabiner, belt kit weather kit. Drywipes (get em wet with water and you have soapy wash cloths for cleaning - EasiCleanse Bath is the brand name), Small container of Purell, prepack of gatorade, lemonade and Iced tea, bandana, small digital camera sometimes, or a disposable camera

Britches: Epipen, extra gloves, spanner wrenches for both toy hose and regular, leatherman on my belt, bug wipes, bandana

Coat: EpiPen, mini-redbook w/redcard, Pen, small notepad

Away Bag (for state mobilizations): Socks, yes, another Epipen, underwear, boot laces, hygiene ditty bag (toothbrush, paste, etc), pre-measured packets of gatorade, lemonade, iced tea to dump into a 1 liter bottle of water, extra bandanas, extra set of britches and coat.

Probably too many EpiPens, but well, if you're allergic to bee's, I'm your guy to be around!

Anything I'm missing? I have a portable GPS, but am reluctant to rely on battery operated devices in the field...

Views: 3916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, you forgot about the MRE's...so many flavors to choose from, and in addition to what you carry, I also carry map tools, map of area, as well as my camel back, Instead of gatorade, i use emergen-c, a note pad, a lighter, a poncho, a first aid kit, a snake bite kit, mosquito head net, power bars, chewing gum, sunscreen, Moleskin, small flashlight, and a headlamp . and on the list of base camp items, I would like to think i had a towel, though time and again i forget and regret it(nothing like drying off with your t-shirt) and I like those tiger balm patches...mmmmm they are so nice to apply after a long several days on the line. On or off the line depending on the outlook I carry a sleeping bag and tent. there probably is more, but that is essentially it.
Yeah, I got socks.. :) I use the EasiClens bath instead of baby wipes - they're dry to start so they don't dry out. Don'tcha just love having to start a fire on the fireline to stay warm?!?!?!?! :)
We get MRE's issued at check in, along with maps. I have a headlamp on my helmet at all times too. Never heard of tiger balm... Tho I do have moleskin in the first aid kit. We're also issued a tent/sleeping bag from them dept. when we deploy. They really do a very nice job of taking care of us.

Many call me crazy for carrying so much, but invariably, someone says, "OOH CRAP! I forgot _____!" and I pull one out...That's the advantage of doing so much pump and roll - if you look at my pic, you'll see our attack engine/brush engine (A32) - we have a huge storage compartment up top for our gear.
You really must check into tiger balm...it is sorta like mineral ice, except warm instead of cold...very nice! :o) It sounds like you have it pretty good! lol I carry a lot too, because as you said invariably someone needs it, and they sorta look to me for assistance...lol Though, I am more of a mule, sometimes If we are not far from the engine i will drop a few less important items, but I like to have it all when we get a few miles in..:o)
Ok, no nasty comments to this one... I'm not 'vain' or metrosexual or nothin like that, but you might also consider some moisturizer as well... I was going through my pack the other day, and found a tube at the bottom, and realized I forgot to add it to the list... It helps the skin from drying out which helps reduce the nicks and cuts that invariably occur. And for the ladies (and those who care about those things) it keeps your skin from getting leathery.
Line Gear - MRE's, at least six quarts of water, first aid kit, radio, batteries, bandanas, headlamp, space blanket, socks, t - shirt, deet, sunscreen, knife, leatherman, gloves, safety glasses, earplugs, coffee, tin cup, field glasses, rain poncho, copenhagen, flagging, fiber tape, carabiners, gps, sweatshirt or jacket if I think I'll need it.

Shirt Pockets - emergen-c, instant coffee packets, compass, signal mirror, earplugs, copenhagen

Helmet - bugz goggles, bandana, sunglasses

Pants - man purse (IRPG, notebook, calendar, saw card, red card, medic cards, pen, travel cash), bandanas, sharpie, knife, jerky, copenhagen, hydralite, athletic tape,

Red Bag - SOCKS, underwear, t-shirts, tent, sleeping bag, hoodie, beanie, toiletries, mountain money, space blanket.

I think that's all
I do disaster deployment EMS and I never go anywhere without the biggest container of tiger balm i can get and 2 bottles of roll-on BioFreeze. I smell like an explosion in a menthol factory but nothing is better for a sore back, legs and feet. Also, if anyone knows if there is such a thing as wildland EMS...i know there is wilderness EMS, but I am thinking like EMS for wildland fire service. Thanks.
Since many of our Type 3 and Type 1 Engines are on regular Strike Team rotations in our County, we have them pretty well stocked with much of what we need. Personally, I try to only carry stuff in my Brush Gear that I know I may use, that extra weight of stuff you don't need so much gets a bit heavy if you're humping hose 4000' up the side of a hill. I carry an extra set of gloves, mole skin, Sunblock, extra bandanas, a couple of energy bars, a bee hood and my headlamp (if you get on day ops sometimes I leave that behind). All of this stuff goes in my little zippered bag on my web gear. I also have a wildland hose clamp and mandatory Fire Shelter (new type that is ginormous) on my web gear.

As for my Strike Team bag, make sure you carry lots of extra socks, T-shirts, underware. There are always guys who forget stuff, so no matter how much you bring, it will usually get used. Last year we were on a 14 day assignment and I went through everything I had packed after about 7 days (even though I was prepared for 14) because some of my crew had not brought enough. Luckily they had laundry facilities at our base camp. I always bring two towels so if you need to change out you don't have to dry off with a stinky one. Make sure you bring any prescribed Meds if you need them. A little extra cash stashed away is useful if by chance you are close to a town so you can pick up stuff you need or maybe go out to eat when you're off line. That camp food gets pretty old after a few days. One thing that I would recommend everyone bring is a pair of flip flops for the showers and some type of athletes foot cream or spray. Even wearing my flip flops in the showers last year, I got a flaming case of athletes foot, most athlete foot treatments can be used as a preventative measure. I guarantee that I have some in my ST bag now.

If your agency doesn't provide, make sure you have tents, cots, sleeping bags. We carry an electric coffee pot and a propane burner with a couple of pots and pans. We also carry hot chocolate, soup mix, top ramen, etc.

If I think of anything else I'll add it later.

AG
When we get called for an assignment it is for 14 days on the line @ 2or 3 travel days.Your total gear (red bag and line gear) cannot weigh more than 65 pounds.I pack a change of undercloths for 12 days 8 pr of wool socks,shower kit w/towel,footpowder,tent sleepingbag,small camp pillow,2 extar sets of nomex,warm coat,wind up alarm clock,lots of skoal,and a PA flag for at camp.Line gear helmet with headlamp @ goggles spannerwrench,first-aid kit,flagging,compass,weatherkit,bootlaces,cord,extra batteries,fireline handbook,pocket knife,gerber tool,mirrow,4 qt of water,mole skin,and that dreaded BAG LUNCH!!!!! that will do it off the top of my head.
On some of the incidents I've been on in Cali they have had what they referred to as line medics. This was two people in a pickup per division with full paramedic training. They are handy to have around, but not always staffed. One of the sawyers on my shot crew ate the bar of her chainsaw and luckily they were available that night. I'm not sure where you would need to go for more info. CalFire is probably a good start.
Yes, there are, they are called line EMTs or there are usually staffed ambulances on fires as well.
we dont have wildland turnouts but we do have brush trucks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service