should the color of fire apparatus be red or lime green? or does it matter? why or why not?

Views: 14350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very Sharp Looking, I like the paint sceem, Very Well Done
We had a 76' young/ford that had 535 gas engine in it. the thing had the carb redone 60000 times.
You'd get on it to get upto 45 50mph then let off and........ BOOM!!!!!!! flames out the tail pipe!Lmao! funny as hell watchin t when you dont expect it. good times.
Thanks, Hey Capt. Yup ! Oh I just forgot to mentioned. The trend here in the Philippines about the volunteer fire service color fire trucks. It's switching back to RED, RED, RED. including our very own (in my profile picture). We bought our tanker is already RED color and we have no plans to change it. Maybe put some little design when we do the next major maintenance refit. Also our second mini-tanker company is also red color.
Nice truck, nothing like showing the pride of your country.
Hey Brian, thats an awesome fire truck you have there! I wish we can have that kind of truck.
but most of them lookmore like utility trucks.

believe or not, those trucks as the same capabilities as the fire engine do. Tankers or tenders are a necessity because most areas lack fire hydrants. So tankers are refitted / customize with bigger pumps like Waterous, Hale, Morita ME-5 etc mostly at the back of the tanker. The drawback obviously is the size and some times does not fit on small streets. So some brigades use the combination of mini-pumper, engine and tanker tandem.
True....but still going with Red red red!

That's so wierd! I thought that all fire trucks were blue! lol
A few pages back I seen pics of a Blue Apparatus and I thought awesome!!! Its not everyday that you see something different.

Back to the topic posted by James...

I think Fire trucks should be red if they are Government owned and everyone in the town is used to seeing red trucks. Some towns are used to white trucks with a blue stripe so in that town the trucks should be white. What I mean is, it does not actually matter the color of the truck just as long as the people in the town respect the truck and yield for it when they see it coming. Some towns have red, some have white, some have lime green and other towns have different colors for various reasons.

We all have our opinion on what we like but the basically boils down to what the town is used to and is the apparatus respected. If the town is used to a red truck and the townspeople see white truck then the town may not respect the truck and that will cause a serious delay in responding to a scene.

We got off topic on RED RED RED posts so hopefully this helps get back on track. Any way you look at it, an apparatus is thought to be defaulted to the red color when we were kids (unless you grew up in a town with a different color or had toy trucks as a kid with a different color) so I think red should be the default color for Gov't trucks.
Hey Michael, thanks for sharing that information. When you think RED, you
think HOT, when you think HOT, you think FIRE, so as you can see, RED FIRE
TRUCKS make sence. Stay Safe Brother
red of course!
Many years ago when a study claimed that lime green was more visible, one Florida dept. began ordering new apparatus in lime green. Some time later it was on the news that the study was a fraud and the lime green trucks were painted red. In my own observation, the lime green color looked olive green during twilight and dissappeared after dark. In daylight it seemed to blend in with background colors, while red still stood out. At night, lights make the difference. Apparantly the jury is still out according to the following link. http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/fireservice/research/safety/vehicle.shtm

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service