My name is Rick I'm 21 and a firefighter/emt-b on the Springfield Twp. Fire Dept in northern oakland county in Michigan. I'm looking for a bit of advice for anyone willing to give it. I'm looking into getting a full time firefighter job. I'd like to stay in Michigan but with the economy the way it is, it's almost impossible. I'm basically writing this in regards to jobs. If anyone had heard of an openbing in MI. I'd really like to hear about it. The only thing with looking for a new job is I almost feel like I'd be betraying the dept. I currently work for given the fact that they gave me my chance to be in the fire service after two other dept's turned me down, besides the fact that my current dept. also paid for my schooling. Would it be betraying them if I wanted to expand my horizons or should I stay around and wait for them to hire a new full-timer? I'd even be open to advice from other firefighters who are on the hiring board and officers to as what they look for when they see a job application and during the interview process. Thank you ahead of time to all of you that reply to this. Stay safe.

Views: 96

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rick, I guess I am not current with the way things work up north. you said 2 depts turned you down, so now you work for this dept? or is it volunteer, since you want to be a full time firefighter? my advice would be to take care of yourself. if you want to go fulltime, then go fulltime. the current dept you are on was there before you started and they will be there when you are gone.
Correct, Two other depts called me in however hired another person. The dept. I work for now was the first place I put an app in at but the last place to call back. we are a paid on call dept. Thank you for your advice.
I've been on for 2years and it is a paid on call dept.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Find Members Fast

Or Name, Dept, Keyword
Invite Your Friends
Not a Member? Join Now

© 2024   Created by Firefighter Nation WebChief.   Powered by

Badges  |  Contact Firefighter Nation  |  Terms of Service